"Mysterious" squid seen at surface in NZ

Just stumbled upon said article, rushing to repost, happily finding out TONMO beat me to it! Big fin! Looking forward to defining species, a bit of a challenge, this one

Yeah, huge fin, which is why none of the most likely candidates seems quite right. We don't have Dosidicus (or do we? Muahahaha!), magnapinnid would be too good to be true (and given that it got away, too heartbreaking), Thysanoteuthis fins are wrong, and we don't have Onykia robusta either. It's all very weird, especially because they were close-ish to land and only over about 700 m (I think I heard). Maybe the bizarre weather is having an effect... someone else found an unusual squid washed up on a beach earlier this week too, in Wellington. Perhaps the invasion is beginning...

tumblr_lfi2lnQnDz1qzvcqio1_1280.gif

magnapinnid would be too good to be true (and given that it got away, too heartbreaking)
Ooh, a ginormous one of those - imagine! With dangly tentacles at 15-20 times the mantle length! ...maybe the previously observed specimens were juveniles!
:smile: :shock:

Side note, we need a Magnapinna smiley.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back