• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mysis vs Mysid

AandC

Hatchling
Registered
Sorry might be in the wrong Thread???:smile: Move if nesscary!!!:smile:

Hi everbody I'm just wondering what mysid mysis are better to breed The lab Species Or Wild Caught???

What types of tank systems have worked for people in the past??

Were is the best place to purchase the Mysid,mysis from???

Thanks for looking

They are next to impossible to breed. Very canabolistic. You will need many tanks setup to breed them. I believe there is a link to breeding them somewhere on this website, if not you can find it on google. It's on a seahorse page. Mysids from a lab are obviously better then wild caught, you don't get any other creatures in with them, you have the advantage of knowing how old they are, getting ones of the same age, and disease free. Mysis are fresh water. Mysids are marine.

I haven't done it, and it looks like a lot of work, but I was looking at this interesting article on the topic: Advanced Aquarist

Other issues of the breeder's net has info about culturing copepods and other tasty critters.

MOFIB has a forum dedicated to culturing zooplankton. Seems like a good place to look.

If you are looking for very low cost mysid I get mine from Paul Sachs- Cannot connect to MySQL server . I have purchased 100 lots for $19.00 including shipping. I'm sure they are wild harvested but that is one hell of a price. :smile:

That being said, really what is the worst thing that could hitchhike in with them? I've read a few posts that nasty things could come in with wild caught mysid but no info as to what that actually could be.

Some wild caught Mysids are extremely aggressive and can kill hatchlings (ask Steve O about that! There is a NZ one that does this but I forget the genus, Steve will know!) . BTW try not to feed FW Mysis to your cephs saltwater is ALWAYS better!

Jean;147706 said:
Some wild caught Mysids are extremely aggressive and can kill hatchlings (ask Steve O about that! There is a NZ one that does this but I forget the genus, Steve will know!) . BTW try not to feed FW Mysis to your cephs saltwater is ALWAYS better!

PE mysis is specially bred to be food for saltwater animals. It may be freshwater but it contains much more nutrition then salt water mysids. Of course you need to get your ceph eating frozen first, but they are better then the frozen mysids.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back