• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mysid in a 10-gallon

asid61

GPO
Registered
How many mysid shrimp can i keep in a very lightly planted 10-gallon aquarium?
I want to be able to have one order last me 1 month for two baby cuttles.

Mysids are very cannibalistic and will likely eat each other very quickly. Most people are lucky to keep them for 2 weeks. I know that space ie surface area is VERY important. I hope others come along to help with more info... good luck.

But does anyone know how many I can keep? I can feed them any kind of food, including brine shrimp, but how many can keep in the 10-gallon? I know how much baby cuttles eat.

The amount really depends on how good your water quality is and ensuring you provide enough food. Regarding an actual number... that is hard to say. If you are worried about running out of them then I would suggest ordering them early and starting a little culture going so you have different stocks and a constant supply. Then, you could supplement that supply with a new shipment as needed.

Greg

The place I found will mail you 100 mysid for 20.00 ( shipping inclued in the price) and will ship weekly if you need.
They say to keep 200 in a shoebox size tupperware container with an air stone and feed crushed fish food and baby brine shrimp.
This will keep them for up 2 week if not more.

I seems to be working for me, do 10% water change 2 time a week, salt level 1.014
Mine like they have been breeding; need 8 hours of dark and 68 degree water

Mike

Mike Bauer

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back