• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My setup, input plz!

ccopelin

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
So this pic is a 5 gal. with various algae and a couple of pieces of LR. There are 6 cuttles that hatched at my LFS. I know the owner well and he was afraid to sell them to any old person and let them die. I took all 6 and the tank they were in in fear of trying to catch and acclimate them to another tank. This tank is jam packed with pods. We took every sponge in the LFS and cleaned all the pods out to put in here. That was 5 days ago and they all look happy. Questions. Do they really need mysis? Can they get through this stage on just pods? I just had 500 mysis overnighted to me from a friend, i should have them tomorrow. Is this setup wrong? To much clutter? I would never see them if i didnt poke around in there a bit. I have also seen a couple small bristle worms that i am worried about and have been trying to catch but you know how that is... Most of the baby cuttle pics i see are on a bare bottom tank. Should i remove a bunch of stuff? They look pretty happy hiding out in the clumps of algae.
Thanks guys!
CC

Attachments

• conv_304426.jpg
    conv_304426.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
Also I have a setup with 2 600 gal. fiberglass tubs with acrylic windows. One is strictly a aiptasia culture for my berghia breeding habit, and one has an adult bluespot ray, about a 10 inch cobia, and all my mother corals. Would they be ok in either of these once large? I know they can kill about anything. The cobia would hurt them. he has been hand feed since day one and does not even bother the school of chromis in his tank.

One is strictly a aiptasia culture
:shock: Really! you grew it on purpose? I try my hardest to get rid of it and keep it away. i have one tank that is a constant battle.

The cephalopods need to be kept without any other fish. Other corals and plants, as long as they aren't stinging corals. i dont think keeping them with aiptasia would be a good idea. aiptasia is some pretty nasty stuff, you dont want your cuttles living in fear of being stung all the time.

CaptFish;172945 said:
:shock: Really! you grew it on purpose? I try my hardest to get rid of it and keep it away. i have one tank that is a constant battle.

Well some body has to raise the nudibranches to sell to the rest of us :lol:

CaptFish;172945 said:
Aiptasia is some pretty nasty stuff, you dont want your cuttles living in fear of being stung all the time.

Or eaten, those Aiptasia are nasty and often much bigger than a cuttlefish...even the older ones would be at risk.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back