My Recent Octo Encounter

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Fujisawas Sake, May 6, 2003.

1. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Heya Everyone,

Just wanted to share an Enteroctopus pic with you all! I took this one at the Humboldt State University Fred J. Telonicher Marine Lab... The resident invert zoo instructor declined my invitation to join TONMO. :roll: The octo was asleep, and I didn't flash his eyes, so all is cool.

Sushi and Sake,

John

2. Fujisawas Sake

Sorry!!

Oops... Its a big photo, so those of you using non high-speed lines may have a bit of a download time... I'm still new at this digital camera thing.

Gomen ne,

John

3. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Cool photo!!!

Was he eating? Wonder what the red things were hanging down?

Carol

4. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

thanks for sharing :)

5. Fujisawas Sake

You know, I think they were the tips of its arms... The display in the tank was very basic, and from their position and movement, I would swear that they were the tips. Weird though... Maybe I haven't seen enough octos in my lifetime...

Then again, have any of us? :heee:

Sushi and Sake,

John

6. Invazn

Invazn Pygmy Octopus Registered

speaking of sushi can you eat your bimacs when they die? or is Tako a different kind of octo?

7. Fujisawas Sake

Er... Well, I have no idea if O. bimaculoides is the choice in Japanese cooking. If you want, I have a book on the history and principles of Japanese cooking, and I can answer your question sometime in a few weeks when I return home from Texas.

I do know that Japanese cooking uses several species of cuttle, octo, and squid. Tako-yaki, or fried Octo "balls" are probably giant pacific.

Sushi and Sake,

John

8. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

i was reading something on the dr. wood's site3 and saw that japanese workers are some of the few to raise vulgaris from egg on, which would suggest a definite interest in the animal... and given that its a known dish, its a possibility...although the gpo is a definite candidate...why collect 50+ vulgaris when you have a dolfleini....

9. diveseen.com

diveseen.com Pygmy Octopus Registered

Eating a GPO? Ack!!! NO!

Well, since I have fallen in love with the GPO, thought I would post one of my favorite pics. This one was taken at a depth of 100 feet outside Seattle. Her name is Olive. We watched her on her eggs for almost 10 months! My wife and I cried when she died. :(

Let me know if anyone wants to see more, or visit my website (currently in the middle of a redesign - sorry!) at

www.pugetsounddiving.com

-d

10. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Would defintiely love to see more pics of Olive! I remember the story Dr. Roland Anderson pointed me to when she died.

You should add your Website to our Ceph Web Directory under the Diving category, and I'll approve it! :thumbsup:

11. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

i was reading in a book about japanese cuisine i bought a couple days ago and it said:

"There are over ten types of octopus caught all over the world, from idako (baby octopus), which are less that 10cm/4in., to ones over 3m/10ft. The most common octopus are in the ma-dako family."

however, i dont know how those translate :( , can anyone help?