• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My Questions of the day, and i really need help from all!

im doing a 55 gallon octo tank (hopefully a bimac), if i use a canister filter will that be enough? i just dont have room for a sump anywhere.
also talking about skimmers can i use a red sea prizim (i think thats how they are spelled) to get the job done and so that my octo will be happy.
thanks

ok i guess a better question would be has anyone on here used only a canisters filters on there octo tank and had success. for ex: have a 55 gallon and using a canister filter thats good for like a 150 tank.

Yes, people have used canisters and hang-on-the-back skimmers. I believe Carol (corw314) has this type of set up. It's a little harder to octoproof than a tank with a sump, but it's possible!

Nancy

We use canisters for most of our research tanks. Typically these are 5-10 gal systems with Fluval 204's. All of our larger systems 100 gal + have larger canisters and skimmers. Perhaps most appropriate to your needs I set up a 50 gal last spring with only a canister. We added a juvenile O. rubescens in May. The animal is now fully grown and doing great. (I should add that the entire set-up is in a 15 C cold room, so no need for a chiller.)

With canisters, we do a fair amount of partial water change to keep the nitrates down.

Roy

im not sure if Im using this sight right I would like to chat with people about octos if theres a way to do so on this sight could some one help me.
thanks

octo joe;83946 said:
im not sure if Im using this sight right I would like to chat with people about octos if theres a way to do so on this sight could some one help me.
thanks

There is a chat forum on this website, but I have never seen anyone in it.

Animal Mother;83948 said:
There is a chat forum on this website, but I have never seen anyone in it.

There are sometimes chats scheduled for particular times, but I haven't seen any announcements recently...

- M

My chatting experience was just a matter of getting lucky. Happened once, last year.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back