My Questions of the day, and i really need help from all!

iwantanocto

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
im doing a 55 gallon octo tank (hopefully a bimac), if i use a canister filter will that be enough? i just dont have room for a sump anywhere.
also talking about skimmers can i use a red sea prizim (i think thats how they are spelled) to get the job done and so that my octo will be happy.
thanks

iwantanocto

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
ok i guess a better question would be has anyone on here used only a canisters filters on there octo tank and had success. for ex: have a 55 gallon and using a canister filter thats good for like a 150 tank.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Yes, people have used canisters and hang-on-the-back skimmers. I believe Carol (corw314) has this type of set up. It's a little harder to octoproof than a tank with a sump, but it's possible!

Nancy

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
We use canisters for most of our research tanks. Typically these are 5-10 gal systems with Fluval 204's. All of our larger systems 100 gal + have larger canisters and skimmers. Perhaps most appropriate to your needs I set up a 50 gal last spring with only a canister. We added a juvenile O. rubescens in May. The animal is now fully grown and doing great. (I should add that the entire set-up is in a 15 C cold room, so no need for a chiller.)

With canisters, we do a fair amount of partial water change to keep the nitrates down.

Roy

iwantanocto

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Thank you all so much for all your help and advice I am getting real excited now when I get everything ready and get my octo i will post pics.

octo joe

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
im not sure if Im using this sight right I would like to chat with people about octos if theres a way to do so on this sight could some one help me.
thanks

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
octo joe;83946 said:
im not sure if Im using this sight right I would like to chat with people about octos if theres a way to do so on this sight could some one help me.
thanks
There is a chat forum on this website, but I have never seen anyone in it.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Animal Mother;83948 said:
There is a chat forum on this website, but I have never seen anyone in it.
There are sometimes chats scheduled for particular times, but I haven't seen any announcements recently...

- M

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
My chatting experience was just a matter of getting lucky. Happened once, last year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gdsxgf456

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak