My potential new octopus!

devi

Blue Ring
Registered
photo-1.jpg

Trying to do photos on my phone so that may not work, but hopefully it will. If not, it's a pale colour with darker mottling, black and brown, no eyespots I can see, looks like it's trying to be a rock tbh! Most likely Indonesian, but could be from somewhere else. Eyes are raised and I believe a little pointy on the top, hard to tell though. Mantel longish.
Any ideas? I'll post another photo later from my computer.

Had a look at a few pictures and that definitely looks right, it's pretty tiny right now, mantel is maybe an inch, probably less. I assume they grow pretty quick, I'm hoping to be able to afford a bigger tank next month, been saving for a while, but so far only have a 15g. Is there any point buying him?
I was hoping for a dwarf, but it's taken me 4 months roughly just to get any octopus in at all and I'm only a month away from my upgrade.

Upvote 0
As much as I hate to I will recommend against getting it. A 15 with really good filtration, live rock, some kind of skimmer and large (5 gallon) weekly water changes will support a couple of mercatoris dwarfs but even a small aculeatus is much longer armed and much more active. You will also need cycle time for your new tank and even using everything in the 15, you won't be able to have something stable to transfer to quickly enough to accomodate the species. Other than the minimally active, shorter armed mercs, I don't know of a dwarf that would work with a 15. My unknown dwarf Monty and my joubini, Little Bit, would need larger tanks. They both live(d) in the 37 gallon with 15 gallon sump that is nicely sized for them but a 30 would likely work almost as well.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back