• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

my octo's leg is dead i think?

fishkid6692

Wonderpus
Registered
i saw my octo for the first time in about a week and a half but it looks like it bit off one of its legs and another leg is all shriveled up and it doesn't move it.

nope

no not at all but he stopped eating.....i'm almost positive i saw eggs with her last week but i think she ate them.....could she just be stressed? she was very active this morning and played with my hand.

She is at the end of her life. Autophagy (an octo eating itself) is very common in senescent octopuses. Egg laying, and constant hiding are other signs of the last couple weeks of an octopuses life, as is refusal of food.

It really depends on the octo. Some can take 1 week after showing the first signs of senescence and some will take up to 6-8 weeks, though that long is uncommon. Refusal to eat is usually one of the final steps. If your octo does not eat anymore I wouldn't expect her to last longer than a week, but if she does you might have a couple more weeks with her.

oh

the last time she ate was about a week and a half ago and she stayed in her den and never came out until today. and today she was very active and playful. based on that description abut how long does she have to live?

few days left =[

my octo stopped coming out yesterday and hasn't moved from her den. she ate alot of her legs and the legs she does have are all cork screwed. i think this is it for her.:sad:

FK can you check (after the sad event) exactly Where she bit off her arms? If she bit them off very close to the buccal tissue (the mouth) there is a very good chance she has autophagy disease. It's nothing you did wrong if this is the case, (not that I think you did anything wrong anyway) but it is HIGHLY contagious and you will need to start again and sterilise the tank and equipment (contact me if this is the case and I'll tell you what to do).

If she has stumps then is it simply old age (sad but not so nasty) and your tank will be fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your wee friend (:cry:).

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back