My Octopus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by shipposhack, Aug 3, 2007.

1. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

I got my octopus this morning from saltwaterfish.com. He's pretty little. I dripped him for an hour and a half and now's he's movin' around my tank. He started flashing colors right when I put him in. Then after watching him for several minutes, I picked up the camera slowly and he changed dark brown and put his mantle up and pointy. They tricked me by putting a black bag around him; I thought he inked!

Pictures are dark so I need to make them lighter, but I will post some soon.

I believe Animal Mother's guess of O. Filosus, the Caribbean two-spot Octopus, is correct.

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to your new octopus! :welcome:

I've added him to the List of Our Octopuses, and will update the list as soon as you think of a name.

Many of the octopuses ordered online are coming in quite small, just like yours. You need appropriately sized food and places to hide, which I assume you have.
    He seems to be off to a good start.

Nancy

3. shipposhack

Yeah I have Astrea and Mexican Turbo snails to feed him. I also have several hermits of various sizes and a couple emerald crabs. The light is off all day and I still find myself squinting to follow him around. I keep telling myself that he has to be hungry (because I want him to be) and whenever he goes by a snail I think "He's gonna get this one!", and of course he doesn't. Arm to arm, he's about the size my serpent star is arm to arm.

4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Told ya :razz:

Cool little guy, huh?

Mine hasn't touched any of the snails or hermits in her tank. Offer something by hand or on a stick and let it grab ahold.

5. shipposhack

Yeah he's definitely cool. Can't wait til the lights come on tomorrow. What have you fed yours? I was hoping I would be able to feed turbos.

6. shipposhack

Pictures

Sorry about the quality. Our camera isn't very good and it was dark. Had to put ISO on 400 (max) which is why it's so grainy. I will get some better pictures tomorrow.

Attached Files:

7. shipposhack

Acclimation.

Attached Files:

8. Animal Mother

So far mine's accepted thawed silversides and shrimp. If yours has a personality anything like mine, you should be able to hold some near it until it takes the food.

9. shipposhack

Shrimp from the store or krill? I have some krill but I can go buy table shrimp if that's what yours takes.

10. Animal Mother

Yeah, frozen raw Tiger Shrimp. They come in bags of 50-60 for about $15. This last bag we bought has some monster shrimp in it. I only offer small pieces as she doesn't eat all of what she takes. I have other fish that eat the rest so it doesn't go to waste. I don't know how well the uneaten portion would keep after its thawed out so you might try to find frozen raw Popcorn Shrimp.

11. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

AWWWWW.....He's very cute...Don't panic if you don't see him eating the first day as he might be full from a meal before shipping. And I'm real glad to see you are not using the flash! Name yet?

12. shipposhack

Thanks. I'm not panicing I just am excited to watch him hunt. No, although I watched him almost the whole time I've been home today (in the dark lol), I still am going to wait until I can see him in the open for a little bit. Right now I think he's found his den and kicked out the serpent star that found it to be a nice home.

13. shipposhack

He tried to eat a turbo snail today. He couldn't break the snail open. He tried twice; the first time for about a minute and the second for 15 seconds. I think he got discouraged after that. Wouldn't go after any of the smaller stuff either. I bought him some frozen shrimp from Albertsons and put one in. I put it in his arms and he took it right away. Turned pale and ate it for 20-30 minutes. I thought it might be fun to watch so I waited until my brother and his girlfriend and some of her family came over to feed him. It was not fun to watch. He just sat there pale. When he was done he spat it out, immediately changed to his regular orange and purple/blue color and walked around. He seems to like the glass a lot. When he gets angry he turns dark black and white. I think I'm going to feed him every other day for now, unless he acts hungry.

Still no name yet. I contributed a few pictures of him to the gallery.

14. shipposhack

I am naming him Kaleidoscope. I'm sure most of you have seen my thread in octopus care about his eye. I hope this doesn't mean he is near the end of his life or that it will disable him at all or spread. So far he doesn't seem to act like he cares very much about it.

15. Animal Mother

You take some great pictures by the way. 99% of mine come out blurry. They look good on the display screen, but not when I upload them to the PC.

16. shipposhack

Thanks. It might help out to shrink the size a little bit before you upload them to a site.

17. shipposhack

Thought I'd post an update on Kaleidoscope a just 2 weeks after getting him. His eyes are getting a lot better. First it was the right eye to glaze over, then several days later the left started to as well. The day after I noticed the left eye glazing over I bought some Gel Tek Tetracycline to treat him. I dumped about 1/3 of the bottle into the tank and started injecting his food with it. At one point he was fully blinded by the white glaze over his eyes. I got really worried about him! He probably went 3-4 days not being able to see before the right eye started showing signs of healing. Right now the right eye seem to be completely free (or at least 90%) of any damage. It's hard to tell exactly because he still keeps them tucked in to his mantle. His left eye is getting a lot better too. The film over that eye is now thin enough that I can see his eye through it.

I was feeding him once a day with the medicated food. he started to become reluctant to take the food and would run across the whole tank with me chasing after him trying to get him to eat until he would finally take it. He never ate very much of the shrimp either. I decided to put him back on the schedule I originally had for him; which was every other day feedings. Now that he should be able to manage catching his own food again he can eat a snail if he gets hungry on the off days. Today was the first day he went without me feeding him. He seemed fine. Hopefully this will encourage him to come out more and maybe start to display the colors and textures that he used to.

He still mainly sticks to the glass. Possibly right now more than before because he wasn't able to see very well. Today I saw him using some different routes than he has been using to get around the tank so this is a good sign that he is healing too. That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks for reading.

18. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

:fingerscrossed::octorun:

19. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

thanks for the update, :fingerscrossed: from me, too. Please keep us updated, since there's not that much information out there on treatments of disease in these animals. gjbarord's talk at TONMOcon2 was fascinating, but made me realize how much we really need a knowledge base of symptoms and treatment for these animals, so stories of what worked or didn't with enough details for others to try the same thing are immensely helpful!

20. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Glad to hear there has been improvement! You're right to observe very carefully and the fact that he's taking different routes around the tank is encouraging!

Maybe food stuffed with tetracycline doesn't taste very good!

Yes, fingers crossed for your octo.

Nancy