My Octopi

Zeus Zoso

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey all,
You may remember as being the hard-headed person that couldn't take any advice. Well I think I may have changed. I have 4 Bimacs, in a 60gallon with 30lbs of LR, some ls a bunch of snails and hermits, eheim canister filter and a CSS125. I started with 5 and gave one to the Marine Bio class at high school. They are amazing animals, I haven't really physically interacted with them, but I can see their eyes watching me at all times. When they go near each other they flash their colors and touch tentacles, sometimes the bigger one harasses the smallest one, but they all have their hiding spots. The ammonia spiked a little in the beginning but due to water changes and amquel is at 0 and params are good. They are getting so big. I named one Spikey, becuse when I got it it looked spikey lol. The one that hides all the time is named Squddish. The biggest one is named El Padre, and the real active one that I actually touched is named Hypo. :biggrin2:

All is well!

please tell me you plan on putting them in either a bigger tank later down the road or multiple... they may be fine now while they are small in the 60 but when they get larger the tank will experience major chemical inbalances due to the waste they produce.... usually its 1 octo for 50+ gallons not 4

That's what I told him on AIM. He bases these living conditions on the fact that he will be releasing some soon...he also says that they are hardy, and that they'll be ok in this tank setup.

anyway whatever... my point still stands whether they are hardy or not... lock a bunch of people in a house without a bathroom and yeah someones gonna get sick and die

Joefish,

I, in no wy agree with the saying that octopuses are hardy. I also think it's wrong to keep them all in a tank that small. I told him repeatedly not to get that many, but to no avail.

Zeus,

IMO, you haven't changed that much when you keep 4 octos in a tank that is the recommended size for 1.

the water volume might be sufficient for 4 young bimacs, but it's certainly going to be a problem should they all grow to full adult size, so as a short-term home it might be OK. As was pointed out in that other thread, though, releasing them to the wild may be unwise or illegal, but I expect that things will not end well if they all live to adulthood in that sized tank, and it's likely to get pretty cruel if the water quality goes bad in that process.

In all fairness, note that Zeus did mention that he's seen that his earlier thinking was misguided, and he doesn't say in his post that this is intended as a long-term situation. I'd like to see things work out for these octos to get a long, healthy, happy life, and I'm not sure that jumping all over Zeus is the best way to get to that end.

Of course, that doesn't mean Zeus's long-term strategy is good, just that I think it might be premature to say it's known to be bad, since he hasn't said what it is.

Let's keep it civil and productive, ok?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back