• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My Octo managed to sever an arm

Maximus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
and its now hanging by a thread...

What do i do???

and how could this have happened?

Hooked himself on a rock?

its almost the whole arm.

He looks like he's dying and to be honest I'm very sad.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.:sad:

Here are some pictures. :frown:

Attachments

• conv_292213.jpg
    conv_292213.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 143
  • conv_292214.jpg
    conv_292214.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 135
Unfortunately I see the curlycue look to his leg tips which is almost always not a good sign. Is there anything he could have gotten caught in? Any large crabs?

How long have you had him?

How big is that red plastic cup next to him in that other picture? If it's as large as I think it is, you got an old octopus. Possibly at the end of its life. Take care of it and it might recover. They can regrow legs. But, be prepared for the worst. Something most of us have dealt with is getting a new octopus that doesn't stick around long.

its a red solo cup he's big real big. I got him from Tom's so he wasn't captive bread and could very well be a much older octopus.

The only thing I could fathom is that he managed to get a leg stuck between to rocks and tried to move away to fast.

He was fine before I went to bed and by 3(I was thirsty and couldn't sleep) he was at the bottom and without a leg. No large crab. He was the only thing in there.

I just looked at him I think he's dead. :frown:

Edit: He's dead.

Rest in peace Octopus Prime.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back