My octo lair!!

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by rcl, Jul 11, 2004.

1. rcl

rcl O. vulgaris Registered

Hi everybody!

I have been very inspired by all the success stories (and pictures!) on this board, and finally broke down and decided that I DEFINITELY wanted to get an octo!!! I have finally gotten a 29g all set up and ready the way I want it, and I am just waiting for it to cycle and then I am all set.

The tank specs so far are a regular 29g tank, a little under 20lbs of live sand, 20lbs of Marshall Island LR in 2 pieces (not glued, but they are each almost exactly 10lbs and I think they should be pretty secure. Please correct me if I am wrong), and a hang on the back filter. I am going to be putting a powerhead in the tank for the guy to play with and to promote some circulation, but haven't figure out which one I am going to put in yet... as for a protein skimmer, I am holding off on that as an upgrade for now. When I get one I plan on getting one of the prizm hang on tank ones. I am also planning to put some 'puka shells' in this tank.

As far as stocking I am planning on putting some hermits and some snails in, and also I think a fighting conch or a cowrie. I am going to keep it bare as I am in the process of starting up a 60g as well, so I think I will stock that first until I get a feel for how destructive/hungry my little octo will be ;) It is easier to justify spending a bunch of cash on inverts that aren't likely to get chomped on

Enough talking, here are the pictures!!

29g front view --

[​IMG]

29g top view --

[​IMG]

29g with 10g refugium for feeders (and quarantine for my 60g) --

[​IMG]

Note that I do have a very tight fitting hood for my 29g, but I just left it off for these pictures. Sorry about the large image size for any of you on dialup :cyclops:

Robert

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi rcl,

Don't know how this slipped through the crack, but it looks like none of us replied. You tank looks good - the only problem is that it's a bit small, since we're recommending a 50 gallon. If you should have a bigger bimac and need a bigger tank, it iwll take 3 months for a new tank to cycle, a long time.

Would avoid the conch and other fancy tankmates and stick with what is edible. Snails, shrimp, small brittlestars all would make good tankmates.

Nancy

3. rcl

rcl O. vulgaris Registered

I had actually forgotten I posted this, so my feelings aren't as hurt as they might have been with no replies! :) Here it is about a month later and this tank has undergone a lot of changes and maturing. After I throw the backing on this tank and duct tape up the little cracks it should be all ready... and when it is I am going to take a lot of pictures and post a tank profile on here!

As for the tank size requirements, I'm going to feed the guy modestly and hope for the best. I would have gotten a larger tank but space simply doesn't permit :(

Robert

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Just one thing - feed him well when he's little - you need to build up his strength. We get our bimacs so young now, we have to treat them a little differently.

Nancy

5. tjohnson

tjohnson Wonderpus Registered

You got a few nice lil caves there, but you should probly throw some plastic pipes in there and such, to give you octo a little more to hide in.

If you are starting with a baby, he will want much tighter caves.

6. CONFUzED

CONFUzED Pygmy Octopus Registered

Nice tank, too small for a bi-mac, but might wprk for a smaller octo