my octo just got here !

Hahaha District! I like his name!
They do seem to have distinct personalities. The two that I have different temperaments. Boots is less shy than Hugsy.

im sure he sees me a lot. the tank is pretty much right next to my couch downstairs. so he sees or hears anything going on downstairs. and im always looking up in his den at him. other than the few hermit crabs he ate, he seems to only want to stick/hand feed the krill. he tried to grab a crab last night that was right in front of his den but it got away. he doesnt seem to be so enthusiastic about hunting or searching for live food. but he takes the frozen no problem. maybe hes just lazy. :lol: still seems really shy though.

I'm assuming our three mercs are from the same brood or at least shared a tank when they were at Dan's. So they must have eaten the same kind of food. I will by some krill today and try them out. I'll look for the brand "ocean nutrition"... hopefully my LFS has it in stock.

Do you feed District everyday?

basically everyday. sometimes twice a day. there was 2 days where i didnt feed him this past week. that was probably weds and thurs. i was seeing if he would eat anything that was running around in the tank. the past 2 days ive fed him when ive gotten up out of bed in the morning. last night i put a krill in a small piece of straw and buried it in the sand. all the shrimp came and ate off it. district tried to catch some of them but wasnt so successful. he did come down out of his spot and watch what was going on though. not totally out. but more than he usually does. that same time was when the crab became of interest to him. but i think he was just trying to catch anything at that point. i put my finger down in front of him today and he reached out with a few arms and touched it. didnt seem to freak him out. which i though was good. in the end though him liking the krill was just luck i think. :lol: edit: im really jealous of your pair making their way out and showing themselves. they are such interesting animals. edit again: dan told me he fed them ghost shrimp. so im assuming they are all accustomed to eating live.

im not really sure, but im thinking this is a "her". all the suckers ive seen are the same size. which is fine, my green tree python is a she i think, its moody like one at least. :lol: j/k of course. "she" was totally confused by the "crab in a jar" tonight. although, it was the only time ive seen it investigate the jar. ive tried crab in a jar before, with unsuccessful results. appears it ended up eating a peppermint shrimp instead.

You might want to make the crab very easy to get to (even if it escapes) so that District learns about food availability. From the various vidros, it appears that the larger the octo, the more intelligent. I was very surprised when Greg (gholland) was successful with his crab in a jar but now we know they can take an active interest. However, the little guys may need more patience (and repeatition) and easier access.

the problem i think is that it seems more interested in stealth hunting. and by that i mean attacking items that come within reach of the bottom of its den. or, is too scared to leave the comfort of its den. but i dont believe it is the latter, because as soon as its lights out, it is at the base of its den hunting.

it was definitely curious about the crab. it was actually "outside" on the live rock investigating the crab/jar at one point.

eating a crab.

100_3081.jpg

100_3082.jpg

i think i found a feeding method that i like. ive bought some live freshwater ghost shrimp from a local pet store. i took a straw, put a paper clip in the end of it, and then stick the live shrimp on the paper clip. sort of a combo of hand/stick feeding and live feeding. i had to resort to this because another member of the tank was attacking and eating shrimp that were let loose in the tank.

100_3085.jpg

100_3086.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back