• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

my octo is hiding?

Hi rc,

This is what I've found out about that might help you:

It's best to remove the mother just before the eggs hatch, or maybe when the first babies appear.

The hatching is over a day or two, not just all at once, so you'd have time to get home and you would be able to see them.

Biarius produces large eggs and the young are well developed.

I've never heard of climbing out being a problem, but maybe someone else can respond to this.

Nancy

i have to take a moment and thank everybody for all the help, hopefully i will continue to get this kind of great advise, this is obviously a first for me, i did not intend to breed the octo but since this is out of my control i would like to do my best to see if i can raise at least a few of the little guys

Thanks Everybody

Rich C.

thats the right attitude to have.. perhaps aim for rearing maybe six or so as they are a huge drain on resources.. feeding especially :smile:

good luck

as far as feeding, fortunately next to my octo tank i have a 20g tank that has been running for a long time, ive been experimenting with cultivating copepods and amphipods, i currently have an army of little critters in there, i intend to use this as food, its kinda sad, these little critters have been living and breeding in there for so long ive become attached to those silly little things

perhaps try finding out which online shops or LFSs near you sell amphipod kits??? save your wee friends :smile:

Jim at Octopets told me that they keep their hatchings in relatively shallow water so that it's easier for them to catch the amphipods. I didn't ask the exact depth.

Nancy

i live very close to the beach, i was going to go down there one day at low tide and try to shake out some seagrass and plants growing near the rocks, i was told this is an excelent place to find amphipods

best bet is to lift stons and sea weed and shake them into a white bucket with soem water in it and then scoop out the 'pods into another bucket so that water stays clean...

watch out for all sorst of things though!!! :smile: suppose that's half the fun!

yea, i intended on using a net or a bucket, im kinda hoping to find something interesting other than what im looking for :cyclops:

If it is a wild caught female, it could have mated with a male before and then stored the sperm. She would then use it to fertilise the eggs whenever she desires.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back