• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

my octo is hiding?

figured i post an update
not much new, octo is still hiding, no sign of babies yet, i still havent looked into the den, im am trying to get a hold a miror probably something like a dentist mirror so i can look into the den without disturbing it

i did scrape the feeder stick on top of the den just to make sure mom is still alive, she wont come out but i did get a couple tentacles to poke out

the suspense is killing me, ive never seen newly hatched baby octos before :bugout:

Hi rc,

A couple of comments:

Even if she has laid eggs, they may or may not be fertile. Ollie and Ink both laid infertile eggs.

The amount of time to hatch will depend on you tank temperature, but figure something like 1 1/2 to two months.

You might try to see whether she will accept food by dangling her favorites on a feeding stick. Both Ollie and Ink continued eating.

Nancy

it is feasable that male octopuses could mate with several females from the age of sexual maturity, but i can find no information about octopuses and their mating habits other than the usual anecdotal stuff.

i would hazzard a guess that males can mate many times but still live the same approximate time as a female who is gravid and lays eggs. I dont think the male dies just after one mating.

Anyway, I ordered 1 more cuttle from the LFS and it should be here on thursday night. I thought it would be nice if I got fertile eggs :smile: Do male cuttles fight with each other for dominance...etc? Just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I get one of the opposite sex.

i have been feeding my octo and does take the food, but only if i put it right in front of the den, she will not leave the den to get it.

Joel:
im assuming your probably not in the us, ive been searching for a cuttlefish for a long time :frown:

Yes, that's typical for an octopus with eggs. They don't leave the den. So you're doing the right thing in leaving the food where she can easily get it.

Nancy

Joel, cuttles normally lay eggs immediately after mating, then mate again and lay eggs again and so on.. but you might get lucky :smile:

Baby cuttles hatch at a bigger size than octos, so they should be easier to cater for, just be prepare for allot of hungry mouths!!! Rearing 7 was hard enough let alone as many as a female COULD lay !!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back