• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My new tank and setup

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
So I ended up paying a professional to set up my tank and everything.

I have live sand, 50 pounds of live rock, an overflow system and return pump.

The sump and filter system was custom made to fit within my stand.

This is all for a 56 gallon cube tank.

I don't know specific details, but will be happy to find out and share.

87PqwnC.jpg

UuPZqFi.jpg

Now it's just a matter of waiting till I can introduce my little ceph.

THoughts or comments on the setup?

Definitely need a GFCI on that outlet AND some kind of protective cover. Even without the major splash hazzard, your plugs will rust just from the evaporation.

Thanks guys for the input :smile:

Is that outlet GFI? You are going to get a lot of salt spray/salt creep near that outlet, you might want to shield it somehow.

What does the top of the tank look like?

What is GFI/GFCI? I'll get on that right away, as I didn't even consider it.

Top of the tank isn't interesting at the moment as I haven't sealed it or tried to. Going to put some astroturf around the top and seal the lid with velcro, as well as put some mesh around the overflow filter.

Here is a general description of a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). They are required in all bathrooms and any place water might be splashed on an outlet. There are three ways to meet the safety requirements (this is not like a surge protector and linked the article so you would understand the difference). The article shows a GFCI outlet (you can tell these because of the reset button between the plug receptacles). If you don't see this in your bathroom, you will see the circuit breaker (in your home/apartment circuit box) for this circuit is marked GFCI. There is a third, plug-in unit available that does not require someone to replace a breaker or outlet. If you search GFCI you will see all these solutions. I have all three types around my house. If you get a plug-in you will want a NEMA 5-15 amp plug style (normal household plug with straight blade sides -- one wider than the other -- and round ground).

HOWEVER, that outlet will get wet and needs to be covered even with a GFCI disconnect. There are several solutions, this style being one I use in a couple of places (note the GFCI outlet pictured inside the box) BUT you will have difficulty combining the two needed solutions since the plug-in GFCI units are bulky. If you can't get someone to install a GFCI outlet (best solution here I think but remember, you still need the cover), you may need to find an extension cord with a GFCI, plug it into the covered outlet and then connect everything away from the sump. Google GFCI extension cord to see some of the options and cord lengths available (most are short).

Hmm thankyou DWhatley, I just bought the cover you linked to. I will look for a GFCI extension cord, as the outlet isn't GFCI and I don't have a possibility of changing that. I also need my powerline adapter in that outlet, so GFCI extension cord is the only possibility.

Can I have a short GFCi extension cord plugged into a normal extension board with a surger protector? Most of the GFCI extension cords are not multi outlet, and I have a few things running from that outlet pictured.

Surge protectors and GFCI perform two different functions so there is no duplication or interference (ie, if you had a GFCI outlet, you would still plug in a surge protector multi-strip). However, any water on you power strip can still easily start a fire so be sure you pull it well away from the wet area. You do have to watch the GFCI's for false tripping and some tend to wear out faster than others (my biggest problem with them has come from individual items having their own -- like a pressure washer -- not from the units used on my tanks).

Thank you DWhatley

I don't know that I will need a GFCI extension after reading. There is no way for me to make the outlet GCFI, so I will cover it. My extension cord with surge protector (that my TV is plugged in to) will be up on a shelf away from any potential water, so I don't think it's makes sense to invest in a GCFI as well since it wouldn't really help given my configuration.

Unless I've misunderstood something. I can't do anything to stop water from getting to the outlet aside from the cover, so I don't see what GFCI will add.

Well... it might stop you from being shocked or it might stop a fire. I've had an extension cord catch fire, luckily the only damage was a burned out protein skimmer pump. Ever since, I have made sure my tank was plugged into a GCFI outlet. If you paid to have this tank set up, maybe you could pay an electrician to put in a different outlet.

Having the tank setup didn't cost much at all, certainly less than replacing an outlet would cost and besides I'm renting, so I don't think it's possible.

The cover should be ok I think, I'll just have to be dilligent in checking it. Thanks all for the input.

Hmm, the cover I bought I can't use, as it requires me to take off the panel and replace it...something I can't do now that the aquarium is in place. Are there any covers that can clip on to the wall, without need screws or replacing the existing panel?

Otherwise, what would be some other options for covering the outlet?

I would reconsider trying to remove the plate. Uncomfortable and time consuming but the best option. A much less safe idea would be to slide a stiff piece of plastic, larger than the whole opening, preferably the width and height of the stand, between the stand and the plug (be sure wires are not under the plastic to avoid shorting by cutting the wire). This will at least minimize the chance of highly conductive saltwater reaching the plug.

I don't think I can easily move the aquarium now that it is setup, as it weighs about 600 pounds with water and sand and liverock inside. Probably more. I also don't have access to my circuit breaker and don't know that I would be allowed to modify the outlet in this way, as I'm renting.

If there are no clip on covers I'll put a desperate. I have a thick piece of wood that should do the trick.

Thanks.

LOL, I was not thinking of moving the aquarium but finding a small enough body to squeeze into the sump area through the door to get a screw driver to the plate. Wood should work but plastic will be easier to manipulate and clean (you are about to learn about salt creep). A panel of any kind there will help protect the wall, especially since you are renting.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back