My new octo!

The red light is ONLY for night viewing, white light is appropriate for day (I use 50/50 actinic, Jean (New Zeland) has seen some octos object to blue but I have not had a problem with any of the Caribbean species). Hummelincki is a daytime (diurnal) octopus and should be sleeping at night which is why I recommend lights off for night - sorry if I was not clear. You do not need a red light at all but if you want a light on at night use red.

If you look at most of Beldar's pictures and the mercatoris pictures (except at the end of their lives when their sight was no longer impacted) you will see the red lighting used 24/7 but these are nocturnal (awake at night) animals. SueNami is crepsecular (early morning and early evening) and we use a red flashlight (the red night light died) when interacting with him at night but use regular lighting when he is active during the day.

If you dont want to spend the money setting up a whole new light system, you can get a flash light that switches. My dive light has a setting to get to red. So then you can go in the room and just look with that instead of spending the money and getting another light set up. I guess the red light is for when you go lobstering when you are diving. Lobsters cant see the red light either.

OK so i just got my shipment of fiddler crabs in and they are fast im use to the crab just sitting were i put him on the rock and eating but not these guys so i got 3 of them in there now cause i was trying to show Thor off to my buddy. But he didnt chase after the crabs he actually came out for the first time and just sat on a rock and he just moved to a new place on other side of the tank just sitting there. Very weird behavior for him that i have seen so far. And i noticed something red like a string coming out of his little spiter tube now and when he breathes it comes out really far anyone know if that is a normal part of his anatomy or?

We noticed with SueNami that he seemed to require elimination before he would eat. It was so consistent that I went hunting some biology info and found that octopuses have a single-lane two-way street. There is a small crop that can store a little bit but basically what went in and is not used must do a U-turn and come out before they can eat again.

OK so Thor came out last night like i said and was checking out his tank and slept in the very front corner of the tank all night. The light just came on and he is still just siting there in the corner im guessing he is still asleep. Still none of the crabs have been eaten either.

So i checked on Thor today and noticed something wrong his skin was still changing colors but i touched him and he didnt move. Thor passed away today and im not sure why he has been doing so good. I did a water change on wednesday and i accidently unplugged the heater so i think it got to cold in there for like half the day the lights were on but i dont think it was enough maybe. Im sad now :frown:.

Deathrott,
What is your room temperature? Unless you are keeping the room below 70 you should not need a heater. A too hot tank is more likely to kill an octo than a cold one (within a few degrees).

I have been hesitant to say anything because prior history could all be circumstantial and adding to your concerns with a first octo would not benefit. There is historic evidence that some of hummelincki's from saltwaterfish.com do not survive well and one of the first identifiable signs is clinging to the glass rather than denning in the LR (Carols, Oscar was a glass sleeper though) and then sudden death before the animal had been in the aquarium for two weeks. After several members lost octos over the course of a few months (there were about 5 if I recall correctly), saltwaterfish.com was contacted and did try determine if their collectors could be part of the problem. As much as I want another hummelincki, I have not ordered from them for this reason.

I am hoping cyanide is not the issue but they may use some other substance to flush the animal (quinaldine and vodka are both common in fish collecting but harmless and safer for the reef if used properly). Most places have heavy penalties for cyanide and the losses would be extensive but I can't help but think something else may be used or used improperly that coats the gills.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back