• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

my new octo

cheesman

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Ok so long story short im building a 120 gallon (4'x2'x2') octopus tank [:octopus:]. I am looking for an octopus species that is warm water, personable, and is a good size for the tank. Any suggestions?

I would say aculeatus but they are a little small for your tank. There mantle gets to about 2 in full grown. They are diurnal so thats good. Another species is a nocturnal one that does get bigger, but i dont know there name. If you want interactive get a diurnal.

bluespotocto;140569 said:
I would say aculeatus but they are a little small for your tank. There mantle gets to about 2 in full grown. They are diurnal so thats good. Another species is a nocturnal one that does get bigger, but i dont know there name. If you want interactive get a diurnal.
Do you think two aculeatus would fit (with a seperator of course)? I obviously wouldnt start with two, but if I decide its manageable it seems feasable to me.

I would recommend a Briareus. You can check AM's journal about Kalypso or D's about Suenami for more info. I think it is a pretty neat looking octopus and it would fit pretty good in your tank.

Briareus is nocturnal but will come out some during the day (as you can see from some of SueNami's videos referenced in the above post). If you want an elegant, flowing swimmer for a large tank, you can't go wrong with briareus and they are one of the more available species.

Hummelincki would also be quite happy with your tank. Esthetically it is a smaller, more benthic and less graceful animal but a terrific octopus for interaction.

Multiple octos in a tank (other than the nocturnal mercatoris dwarf), divided or not, has not worked well for the few that have tried. Unfortunately the posts I am thinking of are likely more than a year old and might be difficult to locate. In one case the two octos were kept together and the male was found dead. The other that comes to mind was a divided tank with to different species and there was serious aggression and successful partition breaches.

Thanks everyone for the help, I like the idea of Hummelincki, but am still not sure. What is the price difference between Aculeatus, Briareus, and Hummelincki? Not to buy on price, but I don't really want to break the bank.

You will see a range of prices but the difference will not be by species. Briareus is likely to be the least expensive because there is a known supplier that frequently finds them and the are native to the US. Aculeatus is likely to be the most expensive because it must ship from Indonesia but hummelincki is harder to find (also a Caribbean species). The difference in pricing is not bank breaking and will likely be within $25.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back