My new Bimac (pics)

jellyman

O. vulgaris
Registered
At least I'm fairly certain it is a bimac but please correct me if I'm wrong. A few weeks back I ordered the bimac from reefscavnegers.com but they sent me the other octopus they had available instead. Instead of shipping it back I found it a home locally and kept up my search for a bimac. I came across this one on Ebay store "Willa's Salt Box." I also had them order a Brazillian dragon Eel for me. It took them a week to get the eel in and they held the bimac for me so they could ship together. They gave me almost daily updates of how well he was eating and even sent me pictures. When the eel and octo arrived they even threw in 12 good sized horseshoe crabs!! So far he has eaten 1-2 crabs per day. I also have fiddlrs that I purchased from Tarbay that he loves. I was more then pleased with the quality and service I received and will be ordering my angler from them in the future. Enjoy the pics.
DSC03521.jpg

DSC03520.jpg

DSC03516.jpg

DSC03512.jpg

DSC03430-1.jpg

He's very cute and sure does look like a Bimac with the usual eyespot. I am envious! Nice pics! I hope to be coming home tomorrow night with a new octo! Good luck with him! Name yet?

I am going out on a limb here since I have not kept a bimac but I am jealous if I am right. Looking at the quick tapering arms, the orange ring around the eyespot (should show most of the time like orange dots with more dots in the center of the blue), the "other" false eye marking over the eye (maybe Nancy can confirm/deny this with the bimac), the coral colored underside, the blue rings around the suckers and the ability to show texture, my guess is Hummelincki. Unfortunately, it is very hard to tell the two apart and I don't know how many (possibly all) of these features are common to the Bimac. He is a spittin' image of Octane though and I would be concerned about the water temp if he is east and not west coast. See if you can find out where he was caught, if they get them in often, note my avitar and scan my pics of Octane to see if you agree: [Octopus]: - Octane - O. Hummelincki (filosus)

PS if you decide it is not bimac there are probably a dozen takers for a Hummelincki - myself included!

absoulutly stunning. that octopus look amazing. im so jealous
how large is the tank? and what subsrtrate are you using. it looks real smooth.
also roughly how old is it? as its quite big
good luck and keep us updated

dwhatley;119819 said:
I am going out on a limb here since I have not kept a bimac but I am jealous if I am right. Looking at the quick tapering arms, the orange ring around the eyespot (should show most of the time like orange dots with more dots in the center of the blue), the "other" false eye marking over the eye (maybe Nancy can confirm/deny this with the bimac), the coral colored underside, the blue rings around the suckers and the ability to show texture, my guess is Hummelincki. Unfortunately, it is very hard to tell the two apart and I don't know how many (possibly all) of these features are common to the Bimac. He is a spittin' image of Octane though and I would be concerned about the water temp if he is east and not west coast. See if you can find out where he was caught, if they get them in often, note my avitar and scan my pics of Octane to see if you agree: [Octopus]: - Octane - O. Hummelincki (filosus)

PS if you decide it is not bimac there are probably a dozen takers for a Hummelincki - myself included!

It sure does look alot like the one in your thread. Is yours still alive? I could not tell for sure at the end of the thread.

Yes, compare with the bimac eyespot in this photo:
Cephalopod Care

Looks a lot more like dwhatley's Octane than a bimac. And Octane has been a good octopus!

What temperature is the water in your tank? I'd think it should be about 76-78 if it's not from California waters, and Octand was from the Caribbean.

Nancy

Nancy, I still don't have Carol's experience (who could catch up!) and it doesn't look like Biddle :tongue:

Yes, 'Tane is still alive and wants his nightly hands on attention. We put him in what we thought was a 45 gallon tank (and purchased it new several years ago as such) but as he has grown the tank shrunk. I finally did the math and found out that it is only 37 gallons. I do twice a week water changes and have a cannister filter connected in with the sump so we do OK with water but he needs more swimming room. We have purchased a freshwater tank but the built out has taken longer than I had hoped so I don't know if he will get to live in it very long.

We are going on vacation for a week and I will fret everyday as he is not young. My son should be able to take care of him but I am still very worried.

I have not read another thread about an octopus that exceeds the interaction and enjoyment of Octane. He is simply terrific and I dread the day I don't keep a Hummelincki. I do plan on having at least one other, concurrent species and currently have two of my TB Mercatoris dwarfs. I have a slim hope they will continue one more generation, either by breeding with one of Gregs or catching my errant male and seeing if the two I have will breed.

Another identification mark that is often present are two brown stripes leading down from the eyes, you can see them in my avitar and on the main link with the larger image of the same photo. The same markings are quite clear on your photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back