my new 10 gallon octo setup

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by keithohlin, Oct 30, 2006.

1. keithohlin

keithohlin Pygmy Octopus Registered

any advice on weather or not a 10 gallon is big enough for a 3-4 inch carribean octopus. the tank water is from a 1 year long cycled reef tank, with good, but not perfect water quality. for filtration i have a power filter made for a 50 gallon, it is a hang on. i will be adding antic blue lighting also. the tank contains about 15 pounds of live rock. i posted a pic of the tank.

Thanks keithohlin

Attached Files:

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Not even close. The problem is not that the octopus can not fit into such a tank size, (they can) but that the waste generated can not possibly keep up with a filter, no matter how large a system it is meant for...there just isn't enough water.
    I have kept dwarf species in tanks as small as 25 gallons, and had them do "o.k.", but when moved into a larger 55, they really had a blast moving all about the tank.

Could you live in your bedroom for the rest of your life? Probably...but it sure would be boring!

Greg

3. AMS

AMS Pygmy Octopus Registered

I don't mean to sound argumentative Greg, but assuming you refer to O.mercatoris as the pygmies you speak of, 25 gallons is more than adequate. I have kept one in a ten gallon with no problems, however I did upgrade to 15 gallons due to the temperatures swing in my drafty old house. When I was rearing O.mercatoris I would use a divider in a ten gallon tank to house 2 juveniles, they did not seem bored with enough mental stimulation. In my experience 10 gallons is sufficient for o. mercatoris, o. joubini however, should really have about 20 gallons as a minimum.

4. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

How many gallons would you need to house 2 O. mercatoris and the cannibalism problem be reduced? I have an empty 47 gallon I am going to divide, and have 2 of them, and hopefully breed them.

5. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

I agree, a twenty five gallon tank is fine for a dwarf species...but, watching how much happier they were in a larger tank, I try to recommend that they be housed that way.:smile: