• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My LFS only sells Blue rings

bluezombie

Blue Ring
Registered
I looked at a LFS, and i finally found one that sold octo's :biggrin2:.

I asked the guy, and he brought me up to a tank with a blue ringed octo in it. It was priced at 89.99$ (Canadian). I was kind of disappointed, since i wanted a pet that wouldn't try to kill me :I

I asked him if i could order any nonvenomous octopuses, and he said they they only sold blue rings. Does that mean if i want an octopus, i'll have to buy that blue ring and only poke it with a stick when i wanna play with it? :sad: Cause i don't trust the ones on Saltwaterfish.com, since i've heard you never know what you're gonna get. At the price they cost, i don't wanna receive one that arrives dead in the bag, filled with eggs -_-

Honestly, i'm at the point where i'll consider purchasing it. Octo's just fascinate me now, and i'd rather handle with a toxic one than with none. Plus i could buy chain mail gloves at the medieval shop (just kidding :wink: )

keep an eye on the "octopus availability" thread, there may be bimacs coming up soon, and various other species tend to come in waves. My :twocents: is that it's likely to be more rewarding to wait for an octo that fits your needs and wants than to end up with one that's not so good because you're impatient. I also really object to LFSes that push blue rings, particularly when they downplay how dangerous they are.

The ones Saltwaterfish.com sells have all appeared to be the same species, Caribbean 2-spot Octopus, or Octopus Filosus/Hummelincki. They are very day active and they aren't deadly, and they are medium sized octos.

I would suggest staying away from Blue Rings also.

Animal Mother;101567 said:
The ones Saltwaterfish.com sells have all appeared to be the same species, Caribbean 2-spot Octopus, or Octopus Filosus/Hummelincki. They are very day active and they aren't deadly, and they are medium sized octos.

I would suggest staying away from Blue Rings also.

I have one question, Animal mother. What species is that octopus in your picture? It looks really cool :smile:

That is a dwarf Octopus Mercatoris. They are neat, but they are very nocturnal, secretive, shy creatures and only grow to about 3 inches give or take. He was my first octopus.

Animal Mother;101580 said:
That is a dwarf Octopus Mercatoris. They are neat, but they are very nocturnal, secretive, shy creatures and only grow to about 3 inches give or take. He was my first octopus.

Oh, well it's a little sad about the nocturnal part, but i must say you had a beautiful octo :wink:

arpaschoaleto;101626 said:
bluezombie, where was this LFS? Is there any website? I just love the blue ringed octopus and always wanted to raise one... Thanks a lot!

It's a local shop here in the region of Quebec, Canada. It's very popular here, and it's called 'Animalerie Dyno', it's actually a full petstore but they've got some interesting things.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back