My latest ceph

Neogonodactylus;107445 said:
It is not Ocotpus joubini. It looks a lot more like Abdopus from the Indo-Pacific.

can you specify how you came to this identity? and I don't seem to find much info on that perticualr species either, any ideas?

Thank You.

Mark,

Aqua Tech;107491 said:
can you specify how you came to this identity? and I don't seem to find much info on that perticualr species either, any ideas?

Thank You.

Mark,

Roy (Neogonodactylus) and Chrissy (Mucktopus) have studied Abdopus aculeatus in the wild quite a bit. I guess there may be other species of Abdopus but I'm not sure what they are; aculeatus was referred to as Octopus aculeatus until recently (2001) I believe, so searching for aculeatus may help (although aculeatus is a common species name, but on TONMO, at least, it's usual the octopus as opposed to the hedgehog or the gastropod). This thread has a paper by Mucktopus on that has some pics at the end of the pdf file:

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=104255

Soon as i seen the first pic I thought Abdopus too. The arms are much longer than any of the species commonly found in the trade and its only been about a month since I had one that looked exactly the same.

If you dont mind me saying, even in a quarantine tank you should add a lot more hiding places for the octopus as it will really help it settle in. If you use safe plastic pipes and such like it will be easier to move the octopus when you set up the other tank too.

Cheers
Colin

I get them through a local wholesaler, unfortunatly I don't disclose this info unless you have a valid business ID, i hope you understand why. As for the tank setup I make my own custom tufa rock and I had removed some to take pics but I agree you need lots of hiding spaces, but this octo seems to never use them, lol. he comes out when ever anyone comes in the room. Just so everyone knows I was not questioning anyones knowledge or ability just curious about what i can do to help identify species thats all.

Thank you all for your advice though.

Mark,

yea i understand why you cant disclose the info. Are there any store in the US that that wholesaler supplies from whom i can buy from, or if customs allows, would you be able to sell one?

I don't know how I missed this thread until now :hmm:. After seeing your pictures, I was about to post that I was relatively sure this was not a Mercatoris or Joubini (my only experience is with the Mercs I am raising but the Joubini is supposed to be difficult to decern as different except by egg size) but I see Roy beat me to it and could offer an ID as well.

You mentioned 2.5 years for a dwarf species. Any idea which one? Diurnal or nocturnal? Any octopus living that long, its habitat, feeding and tank parameters would be of major interest to this forum. Also, when you say dwarf, or pygmy, what arm length and mantle size are you including?

Sorry for all the question :smile: and glad you are aboard!

well as you can tell by the thread i am not 100% on the species i have except the blue ring I had, lol most have been smaller then 8" legs and as for the mantle size i am stil learning how to determine these things, lol as for the filtration I always have mine on systems for most of the time i have them except for the short 2 to 3 week quarintine tank time, the system i run on is over 4000 gallons with NO skimmer just pool sand filter bio tower, live rock, I use crushed coral as a buffer for the system, I run my salinity a little higher then norm as well usually around 1.026/35.5 ppt and a PH is stable at 8.6 due the crushed coral in the system, all on a recerculating water system and a healthy diet is all i usually do for them, with the recerculating system oxygen levels are very high as well and also the system generates a VERY LOW % of ammonia and nitrite/nitrate levels.
I have 1100 + tanks from 1.5 gallons to 50 gallons on my total systems with about 12,000 total gallons, fresh and marine and brackish combined. Over the years i have found almost anyone can keep a marine setup with volume as the number one key! I run skimmers on smaller stuff ofcoarse just not on my system i run the system with BASICS, just the way I prefer to run it thats all, never had problems so never changed my ways I guess, lol Just so you all know I am an African Cichlid guy thru and thru, lol but exotic oddball species are my high, lol A tank builder is my specialty though.

Hopefully i answered a few questions for you as well, lol I will post pics of my facility soon as I finish my additions and such.

Mark,

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back