• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My idea for a tank. All advice appreciated!

So i currently have a 25 gallon mixed nano reef going. it has all sorts of softies and lps going. Im running a 175W MH bulb on it as its only lighting.
My idea for a tank was to stack the live rock way up high, in a high column, and then use only GSP and just go crazy, covering the whole tank with it, as much as possible. So now i have one giant column of gsp thats growing like crazy under the MH all across the tank.
remove fish
insert one S. bandensis
any reason this wouldnt work?
i have a CPR bak pak and a fluval 205 as well as a 5 gallon fuge under the tank
does anyone see a reason this couldnt work?
thanks everyone

slothboy77;125014 said:
So i currently have a 25 gallon mixed nano reef going. it has all sorts of softies and lps going. Im running a 175W MH bulb on it as its only lighting.
My idea for a tank was to stack the live rock way up high, in a high column, and then use only GSP and just go crazy, covering the whole tank with it, as much as possible. So now i have one giant column of gsp thats growing like crazy under the MH all across the tank.
remove fish
insert one S. bandensis
any reason this wouldnt work?
i have a CPR bak pak and a fluval 205 as well as a 5 gallon fuge under the tank
does anyone see a reason this couldnt work?
thanks everyone

I'm no expert on cuttlefish but im going to try and give some help...from what i have read...the cuttlefish need some sort of cover to hide in, under, or around. by having a whole column of rock you are eliminating the chance for it to hide or ambush prey, i recommend adding some sort of rock away from the GSP column as well so that the GSP can not consume that rock and the cuttlefish could use it for cover and not have to try and color match bright green GSP :lol:

the skimmer might be a little small as well as the filter, on my 125G setup im going to be using a skimmer rated for about 200-250G, have a 29G sump with fuge as well as a 30G breeder tank for raising food and offspring...as you can see i doubled the necessary filtration for the tank just due to me wanting to have a group of cuttles in my tank, im sure i will have a monster media only filter too filled with carbon and some other filtration media using a real small filter to get maximum filtration

mattyice;125047 said:
I'm no expert on cuttlefish but im going to try and give some help...from what i have read...the cuttlefish need some sort of cover to hide in, under, or around. by having a whole column of rock you are eliminating the chance for it to hide or ambush prey, i recommend adding some sort of rock away from the GSP column as well so that the GSP can not consume that rock and the cuttlefish could use it for cover and not have to try and color match bright green GSP :lol:

the skimmer might be a little small as well as the filter, on my 125G setup im going to be using a skimmer rated for about 200-250G, have a 29G sump with fuge as well as a 30G breeder tank for raising food and offspring...as you can see i doubled the necessary filtration for the tank just due to me wanting to have a group of cuttles in my tank, im sure i will have a monster media only filter too filled with carbon and some other filtration media using a real small filter to get maximum filtration

i appreciate the advice about the rock, and ill be sure to do that

but as far as the filtration goes, a bak pak, fluval 205, and a small fuge is sufficient for one cuttlefish, that is quite a lot of filtration for a 25 gallon tank.

cephs generally need a lot more filtration than other animals, so overdoing it by a wide margin is what we recommend. We used to recommend 29gal for a single Sepia bandensis, but I know Cuttlegirl found that at adult size her 3 became cramped, and I think she's said that she feels that even a single one would not have enough room to move around at full size. I'm hoping she or one of the other cuttle experts will chime in here, but since no one else has spoken up, I think I should point out that 25 may just be too little room.

:welcome: I started my three S. bandensis in a 29 gallon tank, but after a few months moved them to a 55 gallon. While it is certainly possible to keep one S. bandensis in a 25 gallon, with all of the rock and coral, it might do better in a larger tank. What is your protein skimmer rated? Cuttlefish (and cephalopods) produce a lot of waste.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back