• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My first tank

castor is right, dont listen to the comments about 'nitrate factories' and all the scare mongering that goes with these filters...

a wet and dry is much better than most filters or maybe use a hang on fluidised bed of sand? these have always and still work well for me and many thousands of others!

castor, your nitrate filter is spot on, that's how they work, the anaerobic conditions alllow bacteria to use the O2 from nitrate :smile: But this is not really necessary for a ceph as 500ppm has been recorded with no ill effects unless you are trying to breed them. Just do regular water changes :smile:

just FYI...... people commonly talk about deep sand beds when 'nitrate factories' are mentioned and many think that a DSB is the answer.. I prefer to call them time bombs!!! Its not long before they crash!

Colin

Very well then i´ll stick with my filters for a while8)

It´s hard to tell what´s useful and what not if you´re a beginner like me :wink:
The net is full of "experts" and everybody gives different advice hehe
I had my water tested today and all is well apart from high magnesium(1040). But the guy from the LFS told me that will go away with regular water changes. Phosphate is at 0,5 and he talked me into buying some absorber :bonk: I hope this stuff really does something lol

One more question about live rock:
Tomorrow i´ll get 10kg from some online distributor. I was told it was cured and i could put it straight from the box into my tank. I´m not sure whether 10kg at once will be maybe too much change to my system. The alternative would be to store some parts in a watered box (maybe with a powerhead?) but i would rather not do this.
So what do you think how much rock i can put in the tank at once?

Cheers
volt

(and big thanks for help!)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back