• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My first OCTOPUS

What could be makeing my nitrates go up so high it's not like that in my reef tank.. could mu live rock not be cured enough or is the rock just not no good....thanks

yeah, nitrates are bad but ammonia is far worse.. get that down to zero
to answer your question it is probably because of the high bioload.. the bacteria coloney isnt large enough to handle so much waste....
hth
-josh

This is where the paradox comes in: for the bacteria colony to grow you need to have excess ammonia in the tank. But if there's excess ammonia in the tank, the octopus will die.

This it is important to cycle your aquarium before you put in your octopus.

The Hagen product mentioned above is worthless. If its a "seed" what you need is a bumper crop.

I moved already cycled water into a 55 gallon tank with cycled water. I would suggest cycling it, as said by other Tonmo members. I didn't want to risk ANYTHING with my octopus. I hope you didn't pay ALOT for the Octopus. By the way, interesting octopus. I love how he looks! We have an octopus who tolerates alot, so maybe you got one also. I just wouldn't experiment on him! We've reared ours from the infant stage, so he's perfectly acclimated to the tank. We made sure that he was acclimulated to the tank by putting him in a small plastic container for 2 hours and 1 hour in the bag. It may seem extreme, but it helped him get used to its surroundings. He didn't ink or anything like our old one and he ate right away.

I think people misjudge the octopus. I think they can handle alot more than what people give them credit for. Granted, there are some mishaps, but that is usually due to the uneducated owner. I have had mine for a few months now and I don't have any doubts about his care. I think we're excellent parents and you will be too.

Hi every one and thanks for your ADVICE.... Octo is still eating good and moveing around.. i was woundering what would be good things too keep him entertained.. And last on my reef tank its a 30 high and has 400 watts of 14k MH.. could Octo live in a tank with that much light if i keep it as cool as my reef tank.. My reef tank is 75 at the higest thats with the lights on in the day at night its 72. i have fans that cool the water form the top of the canopy. i would like too put coarls in there with him too dress it up.. THANKS
Keithohlin

Most suggest no corals, but softies if you must. Things that don't sting. Mushrooms, things of that nature. In contrast to that however, the GPO at the Dallas Aquarium shares his relatively large tank with a few dozen HUGE anemones. I personally wouldn't risk it.

As for the light, it's my understanding they really don't like bright light, so if you put him in there, don't be surprised if he isn't happy.

As for the temperature, depending on the species, 72-75F is pretty much the high end of acceptable temperature ranges, but cooler is better. That's the temperature range of my tank as well and my little guy is doing fine. I would like to invest in a chiller in the future though to improve and lengthen the life of my 8 armed buddy.

The best advice a person can take is research, research, research. The search engine is your friend. After reading articles and threads, put what you have learned to use instead of refusing to do it the "right" way. There are several "right" ways to do it. Figure out which suits your tastes and the animals needs best. A person can't compromise the quality of life for the animal because they don't want to do it a certain way, that is selfish and downright evil if you ask me. A person can only benefit from using methods proven to result in success. You will probably have more questions later. Instead of waiting until you are confronted by issues, find and read as much as you can. It will narrow down the risk of finding yourself in an emergency without the knowledge you need to progress. Remember, knowing is half the battle...haha.

We're all still learning, the more questions you ask, the more we all learn.

It's November 20th 2006 I bought my Octo in October 27 2006 I's been 25 days and here's what my Octo like's like....Octo's RULE...!!!!:biggrin2:

advise" and "octopus they just seem to go together....

Attachments

• conv_289892.jpg
    conv_289892.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 54
  • conv_289893.jpg
    conv_289893.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 58
baby octo's

HI every one i've not been on in some time do too up gradeing my reef tank from a 30 gallon to a 75 gallon and i all so moved my octo too a smaller tank i didn't whant too but i had too.. she was in a 30 gallon and i moved her too a 10 gallon way too small i know but she's been doing fine she's been in there for a about a 4 weeks she whent in too hiden for about 4 weeks not real sure on how long it was... i was giving her snails she would'nt eat them right away.. 1 to 2 aweek. i thought she was ill BUT today monday february 12 2007 i woke up and had about 300 baby octo's.. i put up some pic's for you too see..

Attachments

• conv_290220.jpg
    conv_290220.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 63
  • conv_290221.jpg
    conv_290221.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 68
  • conv_290222.jpg
    conv_290222.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 63

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back