My first octopus

I think Kara had the same problem once she realized more than one arm had damage. I know I rely on photos to get a good look at the arms because when they walk, it is just too hard to follow all eight and I can't even concentrate on a single arm. Getting good at this would probably boost ID though :biggrin2: since most people cannot follow the "shell game" movements and there are only three objects. It is easier when they get larger. I get a good look at Cassy's when she slowly glides around the tank. Her gliding, as with most of her actions when she is not frightened, is in very slow motion and with her webbing extended, all we can do is stare and admire.

Last night Aqua added another shell to her den.

DSCN1952.jpg

Aqua is a little delight. However...it is not an appropriate pet for a 7th grader. Aqua is not coming out of her den until late, after Sam is in bed :roll:
Sam does feed her and she'll reach out and grab the shrimp but all Sam sees is an arm or two. We review the camera footage in the morning and she can see what it was up to the night before. Just not the same as seeing in person.
We have talked and it has been decided that I'll be working with her to get her used to human contact, we really don't have an alternative. I feel the time has come as she is getting curious.
I have been putting my hand on the glass when I see her out, she is not fleeing in fright anymore. She was out around 12:30. I decided to try to make contact. She gently grabbed my fingers with a couple arms. It lasted about 5 minutes. She pulled a little but it was gentle. I tried to be very still and not frighten her. All of a sudden she let go, swam to the bottom and inked.:tomato: I thought maybe we took several steps backwards but she came right back to the far left top corner. (our petting spot) I decided however to just continue from outside the tank. She moved up, down and side to side keeping a close eye on me. I want to go slow and gain her trust. I showed the film of it all to Sam and she said she is a little jealous but excited to try herself, maybe tonight?? During our contact, she spread her webbing on the glass, she is magnificent. :heart:
Not in person but on the film I noticed regrowth on one arm beginning. Could not see any on others.

It is amazing Aqua is interacting so quickly and is out with the lights on. I wonder if it is the keepers, the larger tank, the individual animal or all of the above :biggrin2:.

It looks like her arms are regenerating nicely.

She's been coming out to explore almost every day in the afternoon between 2 and 6. She does not get fed until later at night. If we feed her early, she goes back to her den and it's all over. She has a gentleness to her that makes me trust her. Sam is still a little leery, she got a good scare from Diablo. I think with repeated experiences she'll become more relaxed. I am really enjoying her personality, she's very sweet.

common shore shrimp

Have not seen her in about 5 days. No activity at night time either. I am convinced she is brooding. Guess she was not as young as we thought. This has taught me size is not a good indicator of age. I cannot find her in the tank. I am considering moving a few rocks to peek into the place I think her den is. (where she pulled several shells in to block the front entrance)

At one time I said that O.briareus was one of the few who's age we could tell by size. This remains partially true but we have seen a few females who fall outside the (albeit limited observation) norm. Hopefully the eggs are fertile and Sam will enjoy watching, counting and feeding the hatchlings. If you have a survivor or two, you will at least know the age :biggrin2: but will need to remember that they are very recluse until 5 or 6 month, then it depends upon the individual animal on how interactive they beome.

I have been searching every night with a flashlight. I am reluctant to tear apart the rockwork. I don't want to traumatize her. Well, last night I caught a glimpse of her. I am so glad I have the long flexible feeding stick. I was able to get it way into the back between the rocks and she took the offering. I also added a couple fiddlers but I doubt she'll hunt for them. She has not appeared on the camera at night for quite some time. Maybe the fool crabs will wander into her den. I am hoping.

As soon as I can confirm she has layed eggs, I will prepare. Well, at least I have an empty tank since I just lost Poe. I need to do some research. How long is O. briareus's incubation period? I know large egged are longer than small but how much longer. I am going to see my mother in FL. the second week in April. I'll just die is I miss this opportunity.

I looked back at Kooah's thread (since I hope to need the information myself) and found that Kooah started denning on April 8th and the hatchlings were born 7 weeks later on May 28th during a full moon. If that is any kind of a go-by the projection would be April 17th. Assuming Sam is not coming with you, she may have to take the first week's challenge.

Sam is going with us, only leaves my son. This is too big of an undertaking to ask him. Full moon is April 18, when we plan to leave. Do they always hatch the night of a full moon?
I looked for her moving a few rocks yesterday. Found her den but opening is towards the back, cannot see in. :hmm:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back