My First Octopus

Matt,
Even though you are posting a URL, you want to use the film strip icon (that says Insert Video) and not the standard link icon when you post the address. This is a bit of an odd way to do it but the software will then set up the embedding from the http:// link. A bit confusing but it works well for most video streaming (PhotoBucket being an exception). The straight link works but as you can see from my edits the video icon pop-up gives a nicer presentation and you can validate that the link is correct.

Day 8

I have decided to name my octopus. I am not basing this on any identification, but I believe that my octopus is a female. Just a feeling. So I named her Violeta.

Violeta was a great Octopus today! Well she is everyday, but today especially she put on a show for one of my friends. She was jetting around the tank and changing coloration. I gave her some shrimp and she calmed down.

Day 9

Well I was gone most of the day and Violeta wasn't out when I got home. I tapped on the glass near her new den. She didn't come out, but she did after a few minutes. I fed her and I let my wife spend a little quality time with her. I had her hold the skewer and play a little game of get the stick from the octopus.

Day 10

I started classes today and when I can home Violeta was out. This is important because she is rarely out after 6pm. I got home at 9pm. She greeted me by walking over and sitting in front of me. I opened the lid and she climbed to the top and attempted her first excursion outside of the tank. Foiled by her nemesis my finger. Just to recap I have fed her everyday. I feed her twice a day and four hours between feedings. The portion size per feeding is raw shrimp cut to the size of a dime. Also a note she has ate the entire original cleaning crew, which consisted of 20 hermit crabs and 3 emerald crabs. So she seems to have a healthy appetite. Is there any link between an octopuses appetite and the stage of life that they are in? If she has such a huge appetite does that mean she is still in a growth phase?

Attachments

• conv_296815.jpg
    conv_296815.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108
  • conv_296816.jpg
    conv_296816.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
If she has such a huge appetite does that mean she is still in a growth phase?
Not really. It is a good thing though. Mine have had very healthy appetites right up to when they started brooding. When the females brood they stop eating until they die. The males become senescent and stop eating until death as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back