My first Octopus (briareus)

I guess it didn't even get on the delivery truck until 10:56, so I'm going to request a refund for the difference between overnight and priority/express shipping, I think it's only fair. I looked at some of my past deliveries and it looks like it usually takes 3:20 to get here from the local Fed Ex distribution center, and that would mean right about now... I won't really start worrying for another half hour or so, but I'm in college and I'm currently missing a botany lab, and have back-to-back physics/genetics exams tonight, so unless it arrives within the next few minutes, I won't have the time to do the extensive acclimation I had planned. This is why I requested Thursday delivery.

This one looks like it's missing a couple of whole tentacles, but is smaller as well, and appears a bit more lively than the previous. We're about 40 minutes into the acclimation process and it's starting to crawl around the 2 1/2 gallon. I'm going to have to go to my exam before acclimation is complete so I think I'm going to have to simply allow the tank to overflow into the 10 gallon, and maybe the octopus will stay put in the 2 1/2, maybe it will climb into the 10. However, I think I'll be back before the 10 is full enough for the octo to have the opportunity to explore beyond the 10. Wish I could stick around, but the University doesn't allow make-up exams on the basis of "octopus"

PUT A SECURED LID ON THE TANK!!!!!!!!!. It can easily crawl up the SIDES OUT OF THE WATER and WILL!! I hope you read this! Find something you can put over the tank and weight it down. I would point you to Maya's video but you don't have time. Black out the tank if you can and keep bright light outside the enclosure or at least leave something in the 10 gallon where it can go to dark and have light everywhere else.

One tentacle is forked, splitting into 2 about an inch from the end, thought that was sort of interesting. here's an acclimation photo:

009-1.jpg

It will be interesting to see how the split arm grows. There is a discussion about this odditiy that I will link you to later. PUT A COVER ON THE TANK, give it a dark den to crawl into and light the outside of the tank - just in case you missed my above post - and get to your exam

Not too sure this one's gonna make it. Doesn't move with any purpose, currently laying on its side, not really clinging to anything. Maybe this just isn't in the cards for me. I genuinely think that had this one arrived on time (the box was nearly 6 hours late), it had a great chance. That's not to write it off immediately, but you guys tell me. I feel that when an octopus is so unwilling to put forth any effort to stay put of move around that it just allows itself to drift, that's kind of the end of things...

012-1.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back