• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

my first ceph!!

so the title is exciting, but i dont have the ceph yet :bonk: however, i just wanted to see if anyone had any care information for O. briareus, which is probably the octo that im getting. any info wud be great, thanks

If you ordered from Tom then it could either be the one you are expecting or an O vulgaris. From what I heard he had like 6 O vulgaris and 1 O. briareus so cross your fingers.

About care info...:read::read: and :read: some more. Look up D's journals for sure because that woman has actually had babies hatch in her tank and managed to raise them.

Just :read: so much till you cant any more and then you will be close to where you need to be :biggrin2:

And good luck with your new/first octopus!

There is a lot of great information on how to care for an octopus in Octopus care plus some great articles on this site. We always tell everyone to read...read...ask questions...and read some more as you can never get enough information before you experience one of these magnificent creatures!

another question: would a small briareus be okay in a 36 just for a little while because i do hav another tank, a 72 gallon, but it is currently occupied. i dont want to have to get rid of the fish just yet...and, concerning i get the wrong species, what would i do if i got a vulgaris, because i know they get really big??

I am starting to worry that you arent as prepared as you would like to be for your first octopus.

Is your 36 ceph ready? If you dont have a lid on it you will be in trouble. But if I were you I would put the fish thats in the 72 into the 36 so you dont have to worry about the transfer. The thing is, small really isnt all that small and it would be wise to have everything ready right out of the box.

If you do have a O. vulgaris, you will have to play it by ear. Either you will try and keep it in the 72 gallon tank and it will go well, or it will go badly, or you will get another tank to support the animal.

bad news...my 72 got a leak! i woke up thursday morning and there was water all over my floor. :'( so my new tank will be here tomorrow. it wasnt a huge leak...my fish are fine...but now i had to pay for a new tank( same exact one) so the 36 might be put off for a little while...i wud put my fish in the 36, sk252006, but i own a volitan lionfish, koran angel, lunar wrasse, bluejaw trigger, maroon clown, and white mouth eel, and all of them definately cud not go in a 36. im not as close to getting my octopus as u think, if i wuz leading u on that way. heres more info: the tank is empty, i have the sump and skimmer, no sand, rock, water, or powerheads yet, i just simply wanted to be prepared for when i get one, which will probably be within the next month or so, but i appreciate your help and care. so im guessing the briarues in the 36 is a no go?

I can not recommend any octopus other than a dwarf for a 36 gallon tank. And you might find the 36 gallon actually TO BIG for the dwarfs. They can be hard to find in the tank as they are mostly noctural. D has had luck keeping mercs in view by putting a barnical cluster in the front of the tank just a little off the sand. I wish I could recommend it to be honest, I have an avalible 40 gallon and would LOVE to keep an octopus right now but I know its the wrong thing to do so I dont. I think if you want an octopus NOW you could try giving Tom a call. I know he had 2 pygmy octos the other day. They were 25$ each and you could get both and keep them together.

Sorry I did think you were ready and already ordered.

sorry about the misunderstanding, i wish i wuz ready to ordor LOL does Tom just get 'pygmy' octopuses, or a specific species, and cud that species be kept together, because from what i read i heard many species are considered cannibalistic?

Octoman=^_^=;170566 said:
sorry about the misunderstanding, i wish i wuz ready to ordor LOL does Tom just get 'pygmy' octopuses, or a specific species, and cud that species be kept together, because from what i read i heard many species are considered cannibalistic?

Mercs have been successfully kept together in groups. Its actually recommend to make it easier to view them.

No I didnt order the mercs... and if you want them then you should jump on them as he has only found 4 this season total. You can keep more and thats actually what I would recommend. I was shooting for 5 or more so that I might actually be able to see them but they have been very hard to find for a while now.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back