• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My first baby bandensis, one of many I hope.

Just a small update. I have about 20-22 and I don't think any more are going to be born. There are still 1-2 eggs that look maybe viable so I'll leave them in for a few more days. Getting stupid bristleworms in the nets is a pain but I remove them as soon as I spot them. Cuttles don't seem frightened by them.

Most seem to have taken the full week to start eating. I cannot confirm they are all eating but many are. On the weekend I plan on moving yet a few more into their own breeder net so I can keep better tabs on them. At this time I'll do a final count and then feed 1 mysid per cuttle until I see them all eating.

With this in mind I have ordered 500 more mysids for arrival tuesday. The ones I bought a couple weeks ago reproduced quite well. I didn't sperate the babies so more were eaten but I now have at least a few dozen extra that have grown to about half the size of the adults. I still have a wild population to catch in my frag tank should I run out before tuesday.

After the 500 I am hoping they will then be eating either frozen or at least amphipods which I have 1000s spread across my frag and display tank and their refugiums.

The ones that I carefully netted and moved to another net are the most skittish of the bunch and have inked several times. The net that I am keeping the 3 oldest in seem the calmest and will venture out a bit in the day. Most of the rest stay hidden during the day and hover about at night.

I will post some more video clips this weekend.

octopi88;137925 said:
did you spend much money on food

Of course, shipping to Canada is not cheap, or fun for that matter, I am hoping tuesday's shipment will not be delayed by customs.

Of course having a free supply in the frag tank helps but they are faster and pretty hard to catch.

Interesting update:

2 cuttlefish have escaped! actually 3 made it out but i recaught one!. One of the poor quality suction cups on the breeder net fell off so they were able to craw out and get into the open.

There is tons of food and very few predators (giant bristleworms and some lps frags) so I'm thinking at least one of the 2 will make it. If i ever see them I'll attempt to recapture but at the size they are thats very unlikely.

A new stalking video clip

if you get bored ff to about 1:50 this is the best shot of the strike ive gotten yet. As always watch in HD.

I'm wishing and hoping my mysids will not be delayed until tomorrow. I have a few left and two empty 15 gallon tanks ready to go for the myids. Baby brine hatching. They are actually much easier to keep alive then I thought they'd be and if 10% of the babies end up making it to a size that is large enough for my cuttlefish to eat good enough for me.

My shipment of mysids arrived 90% dead :frown: the water stank before even opening the bag.

I think I may have to stop feeding some cuttles as reed only ship tuesdays. I'll order more mysids from them since theirs arrived almost 100% alive.

I'm very sad.

Update, ive managed to make sure each and every one ate at least one hopefully 2 dead ones. I'm going to freeze the rest and hope they will go for it, and ration my live ones until next week when I'll go back to reed and have ordered 250 more live ones. These ones reproduced like crazy so I'll actually try and culture a few of them.

I also saw one of the "wild" cuttles, but given my lack of food I did not see the point in recapturing him.

Ok i fixed the link.

Thankfully Reed are shipping me 250 more mysids tomorrow. I am a bit concerned that I fed the cuttles the dead ones, apparently the other place I ordered from had some die off at their place and have generously offered a refund which certainly helps. I'd consider trying them again I think this was just bad luck.

Now I just hope customs doesn't delay the mysids for a 3rd time, I really don't want to have to go to the airport tomorrow as I have a lot going on.

Got the new mysids alive and well. Some of the larger cuttlefish are now eating amphipods too. This will help stretch out the mysids who thankfully do reproduce a bit. In about 1-2 weeks they are about half the size of the full grown ones and the cuttles will eat them at this size.

I'm going to pick up some smaller frozen mysis all i have is PE and its just too big for them, but it will be interesting to see how long the training to frozen takes.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back