• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My first baby bandensis, one of many I hope.

Hopefully you can see them now

c4.JPG

c5.JPG

c3.JPG

GGrweixPANy4Up3h1UjZog

A lot of my babies have been dying and for the first time I am starting to get concerned I will not have any for my cuttlefish display tank.

I only have about 7 left. One died today that was for sure alive in the morning. I do not believe they are starving as I am feeding twice a day. Most have readily taken to frozen and I am still tossing in some live mysids to make sure the picky ones get to eat. 2 poor hunters have been isolated back in their own breeding nets with both dead and live mysids in.

Nitrates may be whats killing them. I have about 20ppm. It's really unfortunate my frag tank broke as the water in there was perfect. I am mixing water for a large water change and hopefully that will help save the remaining ones. I am also trying to feed 3 times a day to ensure they are all eating.

cuttlegirl;139313 said:
Have you tried larger food? They are probably big enough to take shore shrimp. I would switch to more live food.

they have been eating pe mysis which are much larger then mysids.

Never the less I just placed an order for 200 shore shrimp. Hopefuly they will arrive tuesday.

Well i can say for certain it is a water issue or disease and not food. More died. I am in the process of dripping the surviving 3 to the refugium of my display tank.

I can't believe it, I had 25 now I am down to 3. I cannot afford to lose anymore as they only come in once a year in eggs here. I've already invested about $3000 between a new tank, 100lbs of live rock, skimmer, pumps and several live mysid orders which are very expensive to ship to canada...

So far all 3 are still alive. They did eat some pe mysis and ive put some amphipods in with them that are larger them mysids but smaller then the mysis are they aren't overly interested hopefully just full.

I have 200 shore shrimp arriving tuesday if they make it until then I should be okay I hope.

There is little to no information on cuttlefish diseases. I am thinking that poor water quality was the issue but I cannot discount disease.

cuttlegirl;139360 said:
How big are they? They should be fine with the shore shrimp. Keep offering them live food. A few people have found that the cuttles seem to be healthier when offered mostly live food.

Maybe an inch? perhaps slightly more. They are a couple times bigger then when they were first born.

The shore shrimp arrive tomorrow. They are all still alive but seem a little sluggish. Maybe its just because I always watch them now vs checking on them hovering from time to time.

I am wishing and hoping the 3 of them make it every hour of the day.

If they don't I'll see if its possible to order more eggs, if not then I'll have the tank setup and mature for a year for when eggs come in next year. That would be really heartbreaking.

Just picked up new skimmer for the new tank bubble king mini 200, got a good deal on a used one but it was still a lot of money for a tank that might not have much life in it for a long time.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back