• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My first baby bandensis, one of many I hope.

I had a really tough weekend. Window fan fell and cracked the back pane of my frag tank :frown: RIP

all the cuttles survived and most of the corals but I'm now without a frag tank and will have to have another built. This was 48x18x8 so its not like I can walk into a store bring one home. I'll have to get something new custom made.

As for the cuttles they are now in a 10g that I used water from the frag tanks sump so no acclimation as its the same water.

I'm working on setting up their final home. The good news is I now have a bunch of live rock that is fully cured for years in buckets with powerheads I can use with a bit of new rock in the cuttle tank. I'll start all over with the frags once the cuttles are established.

The great news is many are now eating frozen food! I break the pe mysis in half and feed and more then 50% of then will eat it! So my new feeding schedule is twice a day first with the pe then add a few live mysids for the ones not interested in frozen.

Just a quick update so everyone knows I still have them :smile:

Most are eating frozen. Maybe all of them. Unforunately with my frag tank cracking I don't have an established tank with enough room to separate them enough to tell for sure. So what I do is feed them frozen for 20mins or so blow them around until they stop grabbing them, then I throw in a few live mysids and if they get eaten right away someone didn't eat frozen. If they don't then they're full. They are certainly bigger then when they started hatching 3 weeks ago. Some more then others but all are still alive.

I'm thinking of switching them from the nets which are pretty algae covered to divided sections of a smaller tank either the 10g they're in now or a 20g. This will do them until the 65 is ready and they are big enough to go in at which time I will select 4-5 to keep and give (sell) the rest.

It's much more time consuming feeding them frozen as I have to blow them around but I have noticed a few cuttles are now grabbing them off the bottom of the net.

Once I get them out of the net more pics and videos to come, just in their current surrounds it's hard to get anything of high quality.

great to hear there doing good can't wait to see pic's I noticed if you mix some frozen with live mysis it help's wean them onto the frozen a bit better and will be less work with blowing them around with a baster but you still occasionally will have to do that anyways but just though you might have some better success with the mix of frozen and live.

lance

lance;138518 said:
great to hear there doing good can't wait to see pic's I noticed if you mix some frozen with live mysis it help's wean them onto the frozen a bit better and will be less work with blowing them around with a baster but you still occasionally will have to do that anyways but just though you might have some better success with the mix of frozen and live.

lance

I started mixing them in this morning and got a few to eat them.

I'm currently feeding 1-2 times a day. Most days twice morning and night but occasionally only once if I'm really busy.

I cleaned out some cheato from my refugium today and before getting rid of it I collected 100+ amphipods of various sizes. The smaller ones are good for all of them, and the larger ones are no problem for the largest of the cuttles now that they have started to grow.

corpusse;138537 said:
I started mixing them in this morning and got a few to eat them.

I'm currently feeding 1-2 times a day. Most days twice morning and night but occasionally only once if I'm really busy.

I cleaned out some cheato from my refugium today and before getting rid of it I collected 100+ amphipods of various sizes. The smaller ones are good for all of them, and the larger ones are no problem for the largest of the cuttles now that they have started to grow.

that's great that a few ate them and that you got all them amphipod's for food as well keep me posted on your success.

lance

So during tonights feeding I attempted a headcount and got 25 alive and well!

Tank dividers should arrive tomorrow once i get some out if their algae covered nets I will post some more video clips.

Finally an update. Sadly I have lost 3 babies. I had a bit of a nitrate spike, losing my frag tank where they were living previously was a big blow as it had rock solid parameters and moving them to a holding tank has caused a nitrate spike. I've done a major water change and nitrate levels are again at acceptable levels. Until they move to their full time home I will continue to do several small water changes a week. Also added a remora hob skimmer to increase oxygen and add a bit of filtration.

The other 20 + babies are doing great. They are growing bigger and bigger, less shy spend much of the day out hovering or wandering around the ground.

I've put together a 5minute video clip from various video clips I took over the last couple of days. Mostly consists of they hunting live mysids but also eating pe. You can see they can be more hesitant to eat the frozen but eventually they do go after them more often then not. There is also a couple of clips of them inking at the end.

Finally some half decent photos.

c1.JPG

c2.JPG

c3.JPG

c4.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back