My Escape proof Octopus Tank

Octopussie

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
#1
well i have just constucted my first octopus tank. whatcha think? its a 50g tall tank, xp2 canister filter, seaclone 100 skimmer (modified a little), 36 watt uv sterilizer.the top is made out of 2 plastic cutting boards hinged together. i screwed one side to the aquarium and used lag bolts with wingnuts to hold the door shut. i also made a spot for the light to shine threw.i also constructed a surface skimmer for my canister filter out of a breeder box(i made the slits in it as small as i could). no octo yet but i do have a xl domino damsel (this thing has cycled 3 of my setups so far, hes been threw hell and back many times) to cycle the tank.

so just tell me if ya see any flaws.
tanks,



P.S. Do you think i should get a chiller? my tank temp stays at 75.5 degrees all the time.
 

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator
#3
Nice work!

A chiller would be good for O. bimaculoides but not necessry for other species - you may need a heater for the more tropical octopuses. However, some people have kept bimacs at this 75 degree temperature. It is thought that it may shorten their lives to live at warmer temperatures, but there are lots of factors involved.

Nancy
 

Octopussie

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
#4
well i dont really have a lot of money right now and i do have a heater lying around. so what octopus to you recommend me getting for a warmer climate?
keeping the tank warm is easier then keeping it cold, and cheaper too:smile:
 

AD2U

Blue Ring
Registered
#5
Octopussie;102218 said:
well i have just constucted my first octopus tank. whatcha think? its a 50g tall tank, xp2 canister filter, seaclone 100 skimmer (modified a little), 36 watt uv sterilizer.the top is made out of 2 plastic cutting boards hinged together. i screwed one side to the aquarium and used lag bolts with wingnuts to hold the door shut. i also made a spot for the light to shine threw.i also constructed a surface skimmer for my canister filter out of a breeder box(i made the slits in it as small as i could). no octo yet but i do have a xl domino damsel (this thing has cycled 3 of my setups so far, hes been threw hell and back many times) to cycle the tank.

so just tell me if ya see any flaws.
tanks,



P.S. Do you think i should get a chiller? my tank temp stays at 75.5 degrees all the time.
Looks awesome! I would put some white duct tape on the holes and openings to play it safe.
 

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Moderator
#7
Your hinges may be problematic with saltwater. We have found that any metal (including some stainless parts and all stainless things we have purchased with screws have not had stainless screws - go figure) just don't do very well. If you decide to replace the hinges Monty found a great online place for red tubing (which my octos are ignoring) that has very reasonable all plastic or plastic and nylon hinges and hasps. I bought several items to secure my own lid (at the moment I need a screw driver to remove half of it) and effect a repair on our nano.

The cutting board idea was pure genius!
 

Octopussie

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
#8
i get an octo tomorrow!!!!!

i get my octopus today from the local fish store. ive been bugging them to spacial order me one for 3 months and they never do. then yesterday out of the blue they called me and were like "hey yer octos gonna be in tomorrow dude, and we dont have a tank to house it so., ill see ya then" and hung up. WTF, my tanks only been up for 28 days. is it evon ready for an octo? i did a 35% water swap with my reef tank, is that a good idea? please help!!!!!!
 

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
#9
Octopussie;102277 said:
i get my octopus today from the local fish store. ive been bugging them to spacial order me one for 3 months and they never do. then yesterday out of the blue they called me and were like "hey yer octos gonna be in tomorrow dude, and we dont have a tank to house it so., ill see ya then" and hung up. WTF, my tanks only been up for 28 days. is it evon ready for an octo? i did a 35% water swap with my reef tank, is that a good idea? please help!!!!!!
I don't have any real answers, but I bet it would help those who do if you report your water parameters in the tank that's been up 28 days... at some points in its cycle it's expected to be unhealthy for an octo, but it may be past that point. Also, do you know anything about the octo (size, species,...)?
 

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
#10
If it's small, put it in a critter cage and keep it in your reef tank with something to hide in so it isn't stressed by whatever fish you have in there. Then for the next 2 months or so your octo tank can finish cycling.

If it's too big to be kept in the critter cage comfortably, then I don't know what to tell ya.
 

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
#12
Octopussie;102472 said:
so i went to pick up my octo today. she came in dead :( it was a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. the lfs was very hesitant to give me my deposit back too.
:sad: :angelpus:

Your LFS doesn't really sound very professional... did they want to keep your money and order another octo, or did they just say "you ordered this exotic animal and it came in dead, so you need to pay us for our effort even though you didn't get anything"?

I'm sorry to hear about the octo, but glad you'll have a chance to be completely set up when you get the next opportunity!
 

Octopussie

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
#14
well the octopus was a no show the pet store lied, sucks. my damsel that i used to cycle the tank came down with ich tho. i dont think ich can harm an octopus considering its a invert to right?
 

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
#15
Octopussie;102765 said:
well the octopus was a no show the pet store lied, sucks. my damsel that i used to cycle the tank came down with ich tho. i dont think ich can harm an octopus considering its a invert to right?
That store sucks.

You are correct, Ich doesn't harm other inverts.
 

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator
#17
But, it should be mentioned, if you use a copper based medicine to treat the Ich, your tank will be deadly for an octopus as the copper will be absorbed into the silicone of the tank.
 

Members online

No members online now.