My cuttles

craigl

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I figured i should start a photo journal of my cuttles...I also just like to show them off cause they are so cool hahah!
here is Waldo (paradox suggested that name and i guess it stuck)
wheres-waldo-.jpg

anther shot of Waldo..I really think he likes getting his picture taken. Everytime the camera comes out so does Waldo.
Waldo-pushups.jpg

Here is the Danny and Waldo ( I believe they both wanted the same shrimp and started playing a little rough with each other)
Cuttle-pair.jpg

Well as an experiment i moved the harlequin filefish in with the bandensis pair. So far so good they have been inquisitive of the new tank mate but have not bothered it at all. Ill keep you all posted on how it goes.

Id like to add this note:

I know while back I posted success with keeping a few fish with my bandensis. Ive recently found this not to be successful. I think the reasons for this are that my current Bandensis are much larger and healthier due to different foods Im using and tank conditions. If you are feeding your bandensis well, I would imagine that once they get big enough they will eat your filefish. Im just adding this as a warning, because mine have eaten a lawnmower blenny and a foxface that were much larger then they were.

Paradox;115134 said:
Id like to add this note:

I know while back I posted success with keeping a few fish with my bandensis. Ive recently found this not to be successful. I think the reasons for this are that my current Bandensis are much larger and healthier due to different foods Im using and tank conditions. If you are feeding your bandensis well, I would imagine that once they get big enough they will eat your filefish. Im just adding this as a warning, because mine have eaten a lawnmower blenny and a foxface that were much larger then they were.
Somethings will have to be learned the hard way....I plan to just go with it and see what happens. Only way to make advancements in the hobby is to try new things and fail or even better succeed :smile:
How long did the foxface and LMB last once added to the tank?

LMB lasted about 30 seconds heh. Then I though that it was due to its body shape. (Long and slender) My friend was getting rid of a foxface. I have bubble algae, so I thought Id try since it was large. The foxface wasnt directly killed, but the next day it had a mark then showed it got munched on. It later died that day.

My bandensis are all 3-6"s, so they are big!

Well the intesting thing with the filefish is if you watch the way the fins move it is remarkably similar to a cuttle just flipped 90 degrees.(No idea if that has any relavence to it coexhisting peacefully thus far) They have been in the tank together for a little while. My cuttles are now 3-4 inches give or take. When the fish was first introduced they hid a lot but they are now coming out more and they dont even seem phased by it being present.

It could be similar to octopus where the answer is... It 'depends' on the individual animal.

I just wanted to put my experiences out to inform people that it is a definite risk.

Yeah i welcome all personal experiences, info, and even irrational thoughts haha! It is just something i had to try :smile:
were they captive bred? If so how old were they? how long were they in the tank before introducing the fish? what size tank? were they taking frozen/prepared foods? Any info would be great!

All my adults are captive raised. Age 6-11 months. The Blenny was eaten by a 6 month old. I suspect the 5-6" 11 month old may have gotten tot he foxface. The only captive bred I have are at the hatchling stage.

So they were in the same tank for roughly how long when the fish were added that got eaten...Im just wondering if it is a territorial thing. I have noticed that my cuttles have the same hiding spot day in and day out. Im wondering if added together it would be less of an issue. Or if it just purely predation that caused the cuttles to go after the fish in your system...

IMO, if they are hungry, or realize its food, they will eat it. There have been exceptions, but the majority of people who put bandensis with fish end up without fish. :biggrin2:

Thales;115160 said:
IMO, if they are hungry, or realize its food, they will eat it. There have been exceptions, but the majority of people who put bandensis with fish end up without fish. :biggrin2:
Is it an exceptional exception that not one but two cuttles are getting along with the filefish? It almost seems past the fact that they are just coexhisting...They are also interacting quite a bit with each other which is just really odd to me.
Filefish-cuttle.jpg

There are lots of stories that go like this...I keep fish with my cuttles no problem...oops the cuttle ate the fish. :biggrin2: It often works for a while, then it don't work any more.

At the same time, they may get along fine forever. Mixing is a practice I try to discourage because it so often ends poorly for one or both of the animals.

There are lots of stories that go like this...I keep fish with my cuttles no problem...oops the cuttle ate the fish.

There are also lots of stories of people saying this wont work or that wont work until someone tries it.. Then soon enough it becomes common practice when it does work.

At the same time, they may get along fine forever. Mixing is a practice I try to discourage because it so often ends poorly for one or both of the animals.
You are prob right and i respect your vast knowledge and experience with these animals but even you had to learn somehow right? I have been closely watching them interact and it is just too intriguing seeing them behave like this to seperate them yet. However i do have another tank setup that has been running much longer than the cuttle tank that is only inhabitted right now by a serpent star and some reef janitors. If need be i can move the cuttles or the filefish there if something goes wrong. I have trained the cuttles to take shrimp right out of the net so catching them would be almost too easy :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back