My cuttles

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by craigl, Apr 11, 2008.

1. craigl

craigl O. bimaculoides Registered

I figured i should start a photo journal of my cuttles...I also just like to show them off cause they are so cool hahah!
    here is Waldo (paradox suggested that name and i guess it stuck)
    [​IMG]

anther shot of Waldo..I really think he likes getting his picture taken. Everytime the camera comes out so does Waldo.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Danny and Waldo ( I believe they both wanted the same shrimp and started playing a little rough with each other)
    [​IMG]

2. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

NICE!

3. craigl

Well as an experiment i moved the harlequin filefish in with the bandensis pair. So far so good they have been inquisitive of the new tank mate but have not bothered it at all. Ill keep you all posted on how it goes.

4. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Id like to add this note:

I know while back I posted success with keeping a few fish with my bandensis. Ive recently found this not to be successful. I think the reasons for this are that my current Bandensis are much larger and healthier due to different foods Im using and tank conditions. If you are feeding your bandensis well, I would imagine that once they get big enough they will eat your filefish. Im just adding this as a warning, because mine have eaten a lawnmower blenny and a foxface that were much larger then they were.

5. craigl

Somethings will have to be learned the hard way....I plan to just go with it and see what happens. Only way to make advancements in the hobby is to try new things and fail or even better succeed :)
    How long did the foxface and LMB last once added to the tank?

6. Paradox

LMB lasted about 30 seconds heh. Then I though that it was due to its body shape. (Long and slender) My friend was getting rid of a foxface. I have bubble algae, so I thought Id try since it was large. The foxface wasnt directly killed, but the next day it had a mark then showed it got munched on. It later died that day.

My bandensis are all 3-6"s, so they are big!

7. craigl

Well the intesting thing with the filefish is if you watch the way the fins move it is remarkably similar to a cuttle just flipped 90 degrees.(No idea if that has any relavence to it coexhisting peacefully thus far) They have been in the tank together for a little while. My cuttles are now 3-4 inches give or take. When the fish was first introduced they hid a lot but they are now coming out more and they dont even seem phased by it being present.

8. Paradox

It could be similar to octopus where the answer is... It 'depends' on the individual animal.

I just wanted to put my experiences out to inform people that it is a definite risk.

9. craigl

Yeah i welcome all personal experiences, info, and even irrational thoughts haha! It is just something i had to try :)
    were they captive bred? If so how old were they? how long were they in the tank before introducing the fish? what size tank? were they taking frozen/prepared foods? Any info would be great!

10. Paradox

All my adults are captive raised. Age 6-11 months. The Blenny was eaten by a 6 month old. I suspect the 5-6" 11 month old may have gotten tot he foxface. The only captive bred I have are at the hatchling stage.

11. craigl

So they were in the same tank for roughly how long when the fish were added that got eaten...Im just wondering if it is a territorial thing. I have noticed that my cuttles have the same hiding spot day in and day out. Im wondering if added together it would be less of an issue. Or if it just purely predation that caused the cuttles to go after the fish in your system...

12. Thales

IMO, if they are hungry, or realize its food, they will eat it. There have been exceptions, but the majority of people who put bandensis with fish end up without fish. :grin:

13. craigl

Is it an exceptional exception that not one but two cuttles are getting along with the filefish? It almost seems past the fact that they are just coexhisting...They are also interacting quite a bit with each other which is just really odd to me.
    [​IMG]

14. Thales

There are lots of stories that go like this...I keep fish with my cuttles no problem...oops the cuttle ate the fish. :grin: It often works for a while, then it don't work any more.

At the same time, they may get along fine forever. Mixing is a practice I try to discourage because it so often ends poorly for one or both of the animals.

15. craigl

There are also lots of stories of people saying this wont work or that wont work until someone tries it.. Then soon enough it becomes common practice when it does work.

You are prob right and i respect your vast knowledge and experience with these animals but even you had to learn somehow right? I have been closely watching them interact and it is just too intriguing seeing them behave like this to seperate them yet. However i do have another tank setup that has been running much longer than the cuttle tank that is only inhabitted right now by a serpent star and some reef janitors. If need be i can move the cuttles or the filefish there if something goes wrong. I have trained the cuttles to take shrimp right out of the net so catching them would be almost too easy :)

16. craigl

17. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

wow they blend in so well, my untrained eyes werent able to see the first one untill -20 seconds when it moved, and the second one at the very end of the video when it ate the food!

18. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if net feeding has anything to do with the cuttles not eating the filefish. Since are trained to the net, perhaps they don't expect food freely swimming.

19. Thales

True, which is why I haven't said you shouldn't be trying what you are trying with that particular fish. :grin: At the same time, because lots of people read these threads, I think its important to point out that most of the time when someone says that we don't know until someone tries it that it often has already been tried. In this specific example, lots of people have tried fish with bandensis, and in general, it hasn't worked out well. At the same time, the filefish is something that most people don't keep and it may be fine. I guess the short of it is I hope people reading this thread don't get the idea that they should try putting fish in with bandensis because I don't think fish should be treated as disposable commodities, and in most cases, cuttles eat the fish. :smile:

You're right, which is why I try very hard to not tell people what to do, but to express my opinion or relate similar experiences. Remember I said that they may be fine forever. :grin: I am very interested to see how this pans out. Do we know if orange spot files are toxic?
    BTW, if something goes wrong, you prolly won't be able to do anything about it. :smile:

20. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

There was also a case of a bandensis who belonged to a member from a few years back called Joel. Don't think he hangs about here anymore but he even had a lionfish of about the same size eaten by a cuttle.

Experience tells us that most cephalopod and fish cohabitation stories end with losses...