My cuttlefish just layed eggs!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by rbrthh, Jan 9, 2010.

1. rbrthh

rbrthh Pygmy Octopus Registered

Ok i need any and all info on what i need for the baby cuttles. My cuttlefish just layed her eggs sometime between 2 A.M. 8 Jan 2010 and 12 P.M. I first need to find out how long it takes for them to hatch, what the likely hood of their survival is, a good food for them to be feed, what i need to do to keep them safe in the tank, and the growth rate for a dwarf cuttlefish is. pretty much any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated! thank you in advance

P.S. if you need any info about my tank just let me know and i will be more than happy to tell you.

2. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Hi there and... congratulations? How sure are you these eggs were fertilized? I should probably check your other posts first, but did you keep her with a male?

#2    Top
  3. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Usually it takes between 3 and 5 weeks for them to hatch.
    It can be difficult to tell if the are fertile. At around week 2-3 they will begin to swell and become transparent, and you'll be able to see the cuttle inside.
    Growth seems pretty slow for the first months, then accelerates as they move to bigger food.

Here is an excerpt from and upcomm9ing article in FAMA about feeding hatchlings:

There is more information in the articles section of TONMO and in last Augusts TFH - not sure if it has been posted here yet.

Good luck!

4. MrThate

MrThate Pygmy Octopus Registered

Ok so Jason (rbrthh) is actually my roommate, so pertaining to the same cuttlefish i had some questions myself. How long can they hold on to sperm sacks? we've had her exactly a month and 7 days today and we found the eggs yesterday morning.. We're looking into buying all the supplies we need, and finding a place for our carnivorous fish (i.e. lionfish) to stay until we can find a good leeway for our baby cuttles. But we want to know if there's actually a chance or possibility they'll hatch before we go into spending all of that money (that we dont have, thanks Navy!). We cant look inside them to see if there are any embryos because Zoidberg filled them with ink, and maybe it's just my human mind arguing with a cephalopods instinctive nature, but i dont think that she would take all of this care of these eggs...if there was nothing inside them, she even burrows under them to sleep. I've found no consistency on any of these things online, so its possible that no one knows for sure.. After our wunderpus died, we cant go through losing zoidberg too, these eggs are a big deal to us haha.

5. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

My female laid her eggs over a period of months, so you may have some time left with her still... If you have only had her a month, I think it would be possible that the eggs are fertile. You will just have to wait and see... good luck!

6. MrThate

Did her eggs hatch?

7. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

8. MrThate

236 eggs in 5 months..thats the craziest thing I've ever heard! Imagine if they all did that.. I don't know what I would do if Zoidberg turned into a little factory. But then she's also the only cuttlefish in our tank, and has been solo for over a month, its possible some of these eggs could hatch i guess ifshe 'cuddled' before being shipped and just held onto the sperm sack until she got to a calm environment(our tank)..I'd be happy if just 1 was viable even, not just 20+ ink-filled cuttle-less eggs

9. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

If fed and housed properly the do all do that! :grin:

10. rbrthh

rbrthh Pygmy Octopus Registered

i can't thank all of you enough for all the quick and helpful replies, please keep the information coming. My room mate and I would love to hear any and all info everyone here has for us. thank you again!

11. perke

perke O. bimaculoides Registered

Congrats on the eggs, I currently have two sepia offiicinalis in my care and my female laid around christmas I knew for a fact that she hadn't cuddled with any other cuttles as when we got her when she was still very young. However her next door neighbour is a boy and he was trying to break through the wall after her once she had laid her eggs. I set them up on a date on new years eve and after some very impressive displays she laid hundreds of eggs on new years day which suggests that the meeting was successful. You may wish to try the same if you know anybody with another dwarf as she may have sometime left to mate. Either way good luck with your eggs I hope you become proud grandparents!

12. MrThate

Update, Zoidberg just laid about 10 more eggs, so now im 90% sure that they're not fertilized (the other 10% is hope that they are) but the good news is that her eating habits have improved drastically, when we drop crabs in the tank they don't even hit the ground before she snatches them