• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My cuttlefish adventure.

Kerrick

GPO
Registered
So hopefully this turns into a very long journal. :smile: (fingers crossed)

Got my cuttlefish eggs from a lfs. $60 bucks for a clutch of eggs seems like a great deal and I may order more.

I recieved 10 eggs that look viable. 2 eggs that are smaller/not inflated.

Two of the viables have small cuttlefish in them that are moving some. They may have a while to hatch however because their yolk sac looks as large as they are. I would say the cuttles are 1/8th inch.

Also, very small cuttlefish was in the bag when I picked them up. It seems to be dead and I have no hope for it. He is in the upper left corner of the following picture. Maybe he was from one of the smaller eggs?

00520009.jpg

Yeah these are the eggs. Unfortunately the LFS I got these from isn't extremely helpful so I can't get the suppliers number to call and ask questions, but after reading up on Sepia Sp. I feel like these are probably Bandensis.

I'm playing with my camera so if I can get better shots I will post them.

Question: How far along are they if they are starting to clear and the yolk is about the same size/maybe slightly larger than the cuttle?

Anywhere from days to a couple of week. Like I said in the other thread, I am 99 % sure they are bandensis. Every other species we have see listed turned out to be bandensis. :biggrin2:
Fun! Looking forward to your pics.

Thanks Sue! I live in Durham, North Carolina. I will try to find out the distributor and their number. I went to another local fish store in Raleigh and the guy actually had 3 Sepia Officialnalis... sp? eggs on display. They were $13 a piece. I obviously didnt buy one but I could see the guys floating in the eggs and they looked much larger than mine.

The guy also says he semi-regularly gets Flamboyants and I told him to call me when he gets some in!!!

So, I wanted to let you guys see my feeder tank. It has about 20 or so marine janitors in it. I put another 10 in my main tank(the smallest ones) to take care of a hair algae problem. They are relatively easy to catch so I can allways pull them out.

00520010.jpg

Ok. Not much to report. One of the ten eggs has deflated slightly. The two that I can see movement in I have noticed a drastically shrinking yolk sac and growing cuttles. Other than that I have been trying to shrimp proof my tank as these janitors seem to love getting sucked into the overflow. I am also slowy catching them and depositing them into the breeder tank.

Any suggestions on other breeder animals I could start keeping with the shrimp? Are there small crabs that would get along with them and be suitable for cuttle food later on?

I'll post more pics as things develope.

Well... I'm somewhat worried about the two cuttle eggs that seemed most advanced. Since yesterday when I checked them in the light last they have clouded back up somewhat/gotten darker. At this point I can no longer see any cuttlefish inside of them. Is this a bad sign?

Kerrick;175165 said:
Thanks Sue! I live in Durham, North Carolina. I will try to find out the distributor and their number. I went to another local fish store in Raleigh and the guy actually had 3 Sepia Officialnalis... sp? eggs on display. They were $13 a piece. I obviously didnt buy one but I could see the guys floating in the eggs and they looked much larger than mine.

Can You email me the name of the place and a phone number ([email protected]) ? Pleassssssse! I want 2 of the Sepia Officialnalis :smile:

That doesn't sound good! Have you checked you water stats? Hopefully none of the number are out of the safe range. I order 3 eggs a week ago from NY Aquatics and all 3 of mine hatched in the last 2 says, they seem to like to hatch at night (I think). I could see mine in the net every day until they hatched. Anyway don't give up hope yet!

Also note, they are good hiders after they hatch the eggs sometime stay inflated and will darker and empty. The babies like to hide under the plastic rim at the bottom of the net between the net and the net support. Do not push or pull on the net or you will squash them to death.

Mike

I've looked all around the netting and do not see any that have hatched. My water parameters are:

5ppm(nitrates)
ph: 8.3

I don't know though... hopefully at least the others will make it.

Hey Mike,

I called them. They said they would ship. The Fish Room

Good luck!

Here is the main cluster. The egg at the 4 oclock position is one of the ones that has darkened.

00520061.jpg

sorry for the poor picture... all my camera can do.

Can't see any real difference in the eggs from the photos. They look about the same as the ones posted at the beginning of this post.
Time will tell in the end, let them be. Just watch and wait. They tend to move a little just before hatching.
Good luck.

Those eggs look fine to me. As they get nearer to hatching, you should be able to see the embryo inside. Don't be afraid to put them in a clear plastic container and shine a flashlight through them to see if you can see the embryo.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back