My Cuttle Fish Research

jfellows

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi Everyone. New to the forum but wanted to introduce our family - I'm Kallie and I just began a Middle School cuttle fish research project. We have 12 common cuttle fish, 6 were already hatched when they arrived, 6 we hatched from eggs. It's been a lot of learning but so far all is well - the cuttles are about 5 weeks old. We wanted to share a live video stream to our 75 gallon tank with you:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-cuttle-fish-cam

You can see quite a few brine and mysis shrimp swimming by and on occasion a baby cuttle. We've been lucky to see our brave one (Buford the Bully is his name), make a catch. He's a great little hunter. We're hopeful that they keep growing and the scenes from the tank get more exciting.

Thanks for all of the great information - the forum has been a huge help.

Kallie and family :snorkel:

Thank you! - this is now mom : ) Technical difficulties on the cam today but we are now back live. Buford's friend Biff is doing a little fishing down by the sand area. Hope they grow soon so that you can see them!

Welcome,

I couldn't see the video, so I didn't get to see the cute little guys... what species of cuttlefish do you have? Brine shrimp are NOT good food for cuttlefish. Mysids and amphipods are much better choices.

cuttlegirl;186953 said:
Welcome,

I couldn't see the video, so I didn't get to see the cute little guys... what species of cuttlefish do you have? Brine shrimp are NOT good food for cuttlefish. Mysids and amphipods are much better choices.

Hi there,
We have sepia officinalis (we think). We have been ordering myces shrimp about once every two weeks but they are very expensive. Do you have any other recommendations for feeding? The cuttlefish are about 8 weeks old.

Thanks for your help.

Correction - we think that they are sepia bandensis. Question, can anyone tell us how quickly they grow? How big they get? And how long it takes for them to reach their maximum growth? Thanks so much.

A quick update! All is going well and we have learned tons including how to remove anenomes, proper tank care, feeding etc. We have more eggs on the way and this is a picture of our wonderful cuttle fish named Chubby Wubby. When he gets a little bigger and more active, we will set up the live cam again! : )

Attachments

• conv_299854.jpg
    conv_299854.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back