[Cuttlefish]: My cuttle adventures (S.bandensis)

RalfP

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi all,

finally I managed to take a few pictures of "Scooter".
With flash at night :-(.
Scooter is a (I think so by looking in its eyes) S. bandensis.
I got it some days ago from a LFS, which ordered a bunch of S.bandensis eggs from a stocklist and got Scooter with about 2.5" length instead.

A year ago, I split my coral(SPS) fragtanks from my livingroom-reef and built a separate system with some 65gal and a 120 tank in the basement.
Scooter has it's own 65gal tank with LR and some Hermits/Snails now.
It's still hidden (sleeping) at day and active at night.
Maybe that's because there is still the 250w MH above the tank, that was fine for the prior kept SPS?
Do you think it will come out at day, if I replace it with some bulbs about half of that wattage?

It feeds well on living Palaemonetes varians shrimps, which I try to breed at the moment. (Started that last week in a barrel).
It ate the first dead one last night. Hope it will get used to that.

Having bred freshwater fish and also Clownfish, I would be happy to get some eggs in the future. There are a lot of people around, that'd like to keep their own cuttles. Would be great to have two genetic different lines and cross-bread. :hmm:
Well, don't know if this will really happen, but in the moment I would be glad to "sacrifice" the other basement tanks to them :wink:.

Ralf.

Attachments

• conv_303635.jpg
    conv_303635.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 172
  • conv_303636.jpg
    conv_303636.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 132
  • conv_303637.jpg
    conv_303637.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 134
dwhatley;139872 said:
Nice pictures. Lighting has been discussed and various brightnesses tried but no real conclusions as to daytime activity.

Thanks,
I'll try to reduce it. At least I will also reduce my energy bill with that. :smile:

Thank you very much for your kind words on the pics.
I'am not used to taking pics with flash in the dark,
so these are out of focus.
Think this will change in the future :smile:.

mcmusashi5,
This article: Cephalopod Care considers a 30 gal, high tank as sufficient for a single animal of Sepia bandensis. In a lot bigger tanks, feeding can become a problem because the animal might not see it's food.
I also read about S. bandensis being a very sociable animal, that should be kept in small groups. With that, I guess, a slightly bigger tank is needed?
In this great article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/feature/index.php , the following sizes are mentioned:

40 gallons 1-2 adult animals
55 gallons 4
75 gallons 6
100+ gallons 8+

Ralf

RalfP;139938 said:
Thank you very much for your kind words on the pics.
I'am not used to taking pics with flash in the dark,
so these are out of focus.
Think this will change in the future :smile:.

mcmusashi5,
This article: Cephalopod Care considers a 30 gal, high tank as sufficient for a single animal of Sepia bandensis. In a lot bigger tanks, feeding can become a problem because the animal might not see it's food.
I also read about S. bandensis being a very sociable animal, that should be kept in small groups. With that, I guess, a slightly bigger tank is needed?
In this great article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/feature/index.php , the following sizes are mentioned:

40 gallons 1-2 adult animals
55 gallons 4
75 gallons 6
100+ gallons 8+

Ralf

i read that article but i wanted to confirm with tonmo:smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back