• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My Bimac is making "EYES" at me!!

eirelav

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I've had my new Bimac, Andy (Short for Andromeda), for about 1 week. Everytime I look at her, she has a line on either side of her eyes that gets darker. The rest of her body stays the same color. Is she startled that I'm looking at her? After I've stared at her for a couple seconds, the dark lines go away. I'm just curious what they mean.

She could be a bit startled or not recognize you at first. Turning darker seems to be a sign of fear. Turning lighter seems to be a sign of recognition.

Nancy

Well if lighter means recognition, then Jam knows me very well. Everytime i get close to the tank, his eyes, mantle and body have white stripes on them. then he gets really close to the glass. As soon as my hand enters the tank with food, he goes back to normal. I thought he was saying "FEED ME NOW SILLY WOMAN" so I do LOL :rainbow: :lol:

Sounds like all of your octos have you well trained!!! :lol: Don't worry, after a couple of weeks, your bimac will stop being so startled, and recognize you as the provider of shrimp!
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back