my baby octopus is dying please help.

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by Davinci, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Davinci

Davinci Cuttlefish Registered

Just a minute ago my baby octopus fell off of his den with its tentacles all curled up. I do not know what to do.

In fact i though it was dead a long time ago since I have not seen any of my snails disappear for while. So I think that this octo has not been eating for a while.

PLease help.

2. Davinci

Davinci Cuttlefish Registered

I just took it out from the main tank and I place it in a small container where I can feed it.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Is the small container in the large tank? It will need more oxygen than a small tank can provide.

Sadly, this does not sound good. Can you provide pictures, estimated size and how long you have had it in the tank. You can try offering a piece of frozen shrimp or a crab, snails are often not taken or are too hard for small ones to extract. If you can find hermits large enough to removed from the shell, I have had good luck using them on young octopuses.

4. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

You may need to check you water parameters. Are you sure you have a young animal and not a midget/dwarf species? If the latter it may simply be old age, however, the symptoms suggest a water problem. Sorry.