My A. Aculeatus

That's actually comforting, as even though I am an experienced reefer with access to all the high end gear I wish. I'm always thinking in the back of my mind that it was something I did or didn't do. Any suggestions on an interactive species to look at next? I have access to virtually any species I wish. I'm thinking a vulgaris, though I will have to build a new tank for something that big.

I would recommend a Caribbean species, either O. briareus (crepuscular but usually learns to come for food in the early evening, often day active as an adult and can be interactive (tank size 60 -75 gallons and a sump) or O.vulgaris (Caribbean, not med) if you want to go 150 gallons or larger. Finding a juvenile will be easier with the briareus. Even if you build for a vulgaris (which will be fine for anything but a dwarf), stay open to a variety of species. Natural lifespan (if they are not eaten by other animals or used for bait) is between 12 and 18 months and you won't be starting with a new hatch (nor would you want to really). You will have the opportunity to keep multiple species so size a tank for the largest you expect to keep and then see what young one becomes available.

Another option, if you want to add a chiller, would be an O. bimaculoides (55+ tank, preferably not a cube as they do like to swim a little). They are typically longer lived than the warm water animals but sourcing them is difficult (we do have a member that might be helpful in catching one if you are willing to arrange shipping - he does this as a favor and there is no selling or gratutities but shipping is expensive). Bimacs cannot be sold when taken from California waters.

Thanks I will keep those in mind. My usual supplier has a few dwarf species in right now, not sure which species though. Space is my main concern as I live in an apartment, and already have a 130g reef. I may build a ceph specific 125g as I am a tank manufacturer. If anyone has any ideas on what they would like to see in a ceph tank pls let me know as I and my partners will be taking our up till now boutique tank building business North America wide.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back