My A. Aculeatus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by redddogg69, Dec 13, 2011.

1. redddogg69

redddogg69 Cuttlefish Registered

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I can't get the .mp4 to play but that might be my *&$!* version of quick time (I get a tiny screen with lots of pink, blue and green dots)

The YouTube link goes to something totally foreign to cephs.

3. redddogg69

? Both work when I click them.

4. redddogg69

Did this fix it?

5. DWhatley

That will do nicely, thank you. If you use the filmstrip icon in the editor and paste the URL for videos in the pop-up box, it will allow direct viewing :grin: for most video hosting sites.

6. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

:welcome:
    Do you have a name picked out? :grin:

7. Cuddlycuttlefsh

Cuddlycuttlefsh Vampyroteuthis Registered

Squishy!

8. redddogg69

It's unofficially Matilda, not sure why or if it's even female, but it kinda fit lol

9. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

My guess is a male because I think I see the 3rd arm curling in the second video, but I don't know for sure. :hmm:

10. DWhatley

I'll second iAlex's sex assesment, Waltzing Matt instead of Matilda.

11. redddogg69

Matt will never do, now I will have to think on this.

12. DWhatley

Mati?

13. redddogg69

So it's been about two months since I got my aculeatus. He is doing fine. I'm feeding live gut loaded feeder fish right now, feeding one fish every three to four days ( tried more frequent feelings but they go untouched). He is still rather shy and runs to hide if you get too close to the glass. He does come out with lights on and " dances " around the glass (I will post a video soon of this). He will ink sometimes when startled too.

14. redddogg69

So yesterday my Aculeatus started to act and look strange. I thought maybe one of the tentacles looked funny and he acted uncharacteristically (kind of drifted in the flow of the tank while attached to the glass), today he was very gray and looked like his skin was starting to peel (all water parameters are fine). He finally died today at about 6pm. Not sure if it was of natural causes or something else. I look forward to my next little critter but will wait for the right one.

15. DWhatley

Sadly the life span is short and, especially with this species, we seem to get them quite near the end. This is not likely cooincidental but probably because they are out more to mate or prepare for brooding and are easier to catch.

16. redddogg69

That's actually comforting, as even though I am an experienced reefer with access to all the high end gear I wish. I'm always thinking in the back of my mind that it was something I did or didn't do. Any suggestions on an interactive species to look at next? I have access to virtually any species I wish. I'm thinking a vulgaris, though I will have to build a new tank for something that big.

17. DWhatley

I would recommend a Caribbean species, either O. briareus (crepuscular but usually learns to come for food in the early evening, often day active as an adult and can be interactive (tank size 60 -75 gallons and a sump) or O.vulgaris (Caribbean, not med) if you want to go 150 gallons or larger. Finding a juvenile will be easier with the briareus. Even if you build for a vulgaris (which will be fine for anything but a dwarf), stay open to a variety of species. Natural lifespan (if they are not eaten by other animals or used for bait) is between 12 and 18 months and you won't be starting with a new hatch (nor would you want to really). You will have the opportunity to keep multiple species so size a tank for the largest you expect to keep and then see what young one becomes available.

Another option, if you want to add a chiller, would be an O. bimaculoides (55+ tank, preferably not a cube as they do like to swim a little). They are typically longer lived than the warm water animals but sourcing them is difficult (we do have a member that might be helpful in catching one if you are willing to arrange shipping - he does this as a favor and there is no selling or gratutities but shipping is expensive). Bimacs cannot be sold when taken from California waters.

18. redddogg69

Thanks I will keep those in mind. My usual supplier has a few dwarf species in right now, not sure which species though. Space is my main concern as I live in an apartment, and already have a 130g reef. I may build a ceph specific 125g as I am a tank manufacturer. If anyone has any ideas on what they would like to see in a ceph tank pls let me know as I and my partners will be taking our up till now boutique tank building business North America wide.