• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My 70 Gallon Tank.....

dwhatley;146933 said:
Looking GOOD!
Thank you!!! I'm very excited to have it running again. Only one problem....Make sure you leave enough room behind the tank if you think you will install a protein skimmer at a later date.....Guess what I did!!!! Anyway, took a sample to LPS and they had this nifty little what looked like a scope that measures salinity. Mine is at 30 so the good news is I need to top off the tank, but can use fresh to bring the salinity down. The ammonia is 0 and the nitrites are 0, but the nitrates are 40 which is still better than it was a few months back. I added another 7lb piece of live rock and will post a new pic later after I top off the tank! They said, "Good to go" but I say I'm waiting a few months to be sure it's stable before I add my next octopus.

Interesting thought....I have had the LFS test my salinity to find my little old swing arm is not accurate. Tonight I bought a new salinity tester and the salinity is still at 27 after a 15 gal. water change. What I am thinking is all these years I've had octopuses in my tanks, successfully and I've used the little old swing arm salinity gauge, meaning they all have been living in salinity at 28 to 30 as my gauge is about 4 points off. Just thought that was interesting as they have survived very well with the higher salinity. I'd like to hear all your thoughts on this. Anyway, I added a background and have sealed the tank. No ammonia, nitrates were at .40 before the water change I did today and I also took down a large bubble filter I always run in that tank, cleaned it and it's pushing air very nicely.

My guess would be that you have had salt build up in the old unit, particularly since you have not used it in awhile. It would be interesting to fill it with hot fresh water, let it soak overnight, rinse with fresh water and then see if the reading changes any.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back