• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My 120g

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I bought this tank awhile ago, but just got it running about a week ago.

120.jpg

At the moment, it has 100 lbs of sand, 10 lbs of Tonga Branch rock, 30 lbs of Pukani rock, 15 lbs of Eco rock, and I am picking up 25 lbs of Tampa Bay Saltwater rock this Wednesday.

All the rock is from Bulk Reef Supply. Those numbers are what I ordered, but I think I got waaaay more than that.

120light004.jpg

I picked up some red LEDs to go on the back. The light has blue moonlight LEDs, so when they are both on it gives off a cool purple light.

120light005.jpg

You can see in this picture my make-shift overflow guards, if I can figure something out that works better, or someone has a better suggestion I'd love to try it out...

All I need now is this skimmer. I'm going to order it later this week when I get payed. :sly:

What is the white anemone looking thing on the right in the last photo? IMO gorgonians seem to do better if you wait a year so let me know how this one does after a couple of months. I keep trying to figure out the "key". The ones I have now are doing well but I have lost a lot of them over time. Are the polyps stripped with white or solid brown/orange?

You will have to watch the anemone, and may consider moving it to one of your other tanks. I had a simple flower in Diego's tank in an avoidable location and neither the octo nor the flower was happy with the mix. Eventually the flower moved so that I could remove it on the rock it chose and both were happier separated.

Keep an eye on the polyps. I won't put browns in a tank again, they are very prolific and you can never fully eliminate them. I have kept a few of a group alive that over ran a tank but I keep them well away from the rest of the rock. You will have to watch them with an octo as well. Some of the browns will produce a negative reaction from an octo where others seem to be less potent. The larger polyp animals seem to be more compatible than the small polyps. Yours actually look like the larger variety but the ones I have are not solid.

I'm liking the red leds. He comes out at night when the main lights are off and I can still see him fine and he isn't bothered by them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back