Multiple spawners?

Ok,

The general perception about cephalopods is that they mate once and die, right? At least that is what I always heard on those nature shows and from reading "Ranger Rick" :biggrin2: . I am beginning to think that octopus is the odd cephalopod that does mate once and die...

My Sepia bandensis are multiple spawners, meaning that the female mates and lays eggs over a period of time (in my case 3 months). That means that about 33% of her life has been spent laying eggs.

I started to do some research - Roger Hanlon reported that Loligo pealii is also a multiple spawner. I checked on our favorite friend Dosidicus gigas, and it is also another multiple spawner.

Any others that you know of?

You mentioned in another thread that there was only one scientific article about S. bandensis. Has it crossed your mind that your background might be conducive to writing the second?

Dan

Turns out that many Teuthids are multiple spawners and that true semelparity is much rarer in the group than previously suspected. Nototodarus gouldi and N. sloanii are multiple spawners. BUT the spawning is within a relatively short time frame and thus most cephs don't appear to be truely iteroparus either!

J

cuttlegirl;85257 said:
For some reason I cannot edit my post to include the correct spelling for the Humboldt squid, Dosidicus gigas, so I am including it here...

apparently, my 1337 staff powers let me fix it in your original post... but I thought anyone was supposed to be able to edit their own posts... maybe the recent changes introduced a bug...

James Wood says (From:Cuttlefish Husbandry: Part IV - How do cuttlefish reproduce? - The Cephalopod Page )

Unlike octopuses, female cuttlefish will lay eggs and continue to eat for several months. The large eggs are laid one at a time...

Last years batch also did the same thing, though like your batch, this years batch is going bonkers.
What I am really interested in is the viability of the eggs. I notice 1/2 or more non developing eggs in both the wild caught eggs and the captive laid eggs I have had.

monty;85259 said:
apparently, my 1337 staff powers let me fix it in your original post... but I thought anyone was supposed to be able to edit their own posts... maybe the recent changes introduced a bug...

Really? It is still spelled incorrectly when I view it... It lets me edit, but when I push save, it just stalls and I get that little circle of dots but it never completes the save - it must be some new glitch because I have always been able to edit my posts...

(completely off topic forum bug stuff)

ok, when I edited it, then did "go advanced" then "preview" then "save" it finally saved the correction (for now, at least).

Actually, I've noticed a few times recently that various tasks will return an empty page instead of the right page (mosty search.php, which appears to be returned blank, without any headers, since it doesn't even recognize it as html). I had thought it was just because I upgraded to firefox 2.0 but perhaps it's more related to the recent TONMO server side changes...

Has anyone else seen any weird behavior recently?

Jean;85255 said:
Turns out that many Teuthids are multiple spawners and that true semelparity is much rarer in the group than previously suspected. Nototodarus gouldi and N. sloanii are multiple spawners. BUT the spawning is within a relatively short time frame and thus most cephs don't appear to be truely iteroparus either!

J

Yikes, I forgot about Nautilus which produce several eggs a year for several years...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back