• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

multiple octos

Aussie-octo

Hatchling
Registered
hey hows everyone going
well currently i have 1 octopus a reef type/ tropical speices commonly coloured purples and blacks but will go white and beige. anyway i was thinking about getting a mate for him/her and am under the belife they will mate if 2 are togeather?
and if they do 1 will die and the other will stop eating untill the birth?

but what would happen if i put a blue ring in the tank with the other octo would they fight? or not be bothered i know in the wild octo have their own territory does this apply in the aquarium

much of the time, two octos in a tank either ends in a fight to the death, or both being stressed enough that they're hiding all the time. It does depend somewhat on species, though, and how big the octos are compared to the tank, and just luck, but we don't recommend it since it seems to be bad for the animals more often than not.

Unless brooding, the blue-rings that I have kept (H. lunulata, H. fasciatus, and the undescribed reef species from North Queensland) are not territorial or attached to a specific site in the aquarium. THey tend to wander about quite a bit. I have had A. aculeatus and H. lunuata in the same tank for short periods and saw no interaction. We also often hold in the same aquarium as A aculeatus Hapalochalaena in large plastic jars with lots of small holes drilled in them. I have never seen the A aculeatus show any interest in the blue-rings. However, the bottom line is that we have very little experience with keeping multiple species of octopus together. In general, the specimens are too valuable to risk a loss.

What is the size of your "reef" species, where does it come from, and what blue-ring would you be keeping?

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back