• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Multiple cuttlefish one tank

I have a very empty 200 gallon tank. I was thinking after I build a new stand of either getting a single octopus or if possible multiple dwarf cuttle just need a lil direction. I know both species live for 1-2 years max but I was hoping if I did do cuttlefish I could house say 5 together in my tank and breed them... Or just a single octopus or single larger common cuttle but have no clue where to buy the commons

I live in south eastern mi
200 gallon tank
1 year fowlr tank
15 year fw tank

I say go for a bunch of dwarf cuttles! You could probably have more than 5 - I had three in a 55 gallon. I'm not sure about a Sepia officinalis in a 200 gallon tank... although they are cool animals.

So would I have to worrie about fighting? I used to keep jaguar cichlids and at breeding time I would lose my whole stock of tank mates and even a female... I read that dwarf cuttles live like 8-10 months so I'm assuming fast growth rate, lots of food, anyone breed out there?

One of mine lived 14 months. Yes, the males do fight over the females, but usually not fatal... It has to do with the ratio of males to females and tank size. Hopefully Thales will chime in, he has had more experience than me.

Yes, lots of live food.

@tylerf013 No, a sting ray or any ray would not be a compatible ceph tankmate (the cuttlefish would become a quick meal). Rays need a very large tank (none stay small enough for the tanks you are considering, least of all a sting ray), special considerations and are outside the topics of our forum. If they interest you (after you have serious experience), locating a dedicated forum is recommended (and for success, required).

Most interesting animals will require a species only tank (ie a tank of their own). Some animals can coexist with various corals and clean up crew inverts but the safe choices are limited (this is also true of fish only tanks but there is more variety of choices). Poor choices of combinations lead to stress (often resulting in death), predation or injury so each animal added to an environment needs to be carefully screened for compatibility. I mentioned the term MTS in your intro thread, this is why it is so common.

Last edited:
Probably it will cause conflict, species only tank is much better. Anyway, the stingray might eat the cuttlefish or vice versa. Steven Watson, I would say go for like, 8 dwarf cuttles!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back