Multiple cuttlefish one tank

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Steven Watson, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Steven Watson

Steven Watson Larval Mass Registered

I have a very empty 200 gallon tank. I was thinking after I build a new stand of either getting a single octopus or if possible multiple dwarf cuttle just need a lil direction. I know both species live for 1-2 years max but I was hoping if I did do cuttlefish I could house say 5 together in my tank and breed them... Or just a single octopus or single larger common cuttle but have no clue where to buy the commons

I live in south eastern mi
    200 gallon tank
    1 year fowlr tank
    15 year fw tank

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I say go for a bunch of dwarf cuttles! You could probably have more than 5 - I had three in a 55 gallon. I'm not sure about a Sepia officinalis in a 200 gallon tank... although they are cool animals.

3. Steven Watson

Steven Watson Larval Mass Registered

So would I have to worrie about fighting? I used to keep jaguar cichlids and at breeding time I would lose my whole stock of tank mates and even a female... I read that dwarf cuttles live like 8-10 months so I'm assuming fast growth rate, lots of food, anyone breed out there?

4. cuttlegirl

One of mine lived 14 months. Yes, the males do fight over the females, but usually not fatal... It has to do with the ratio of males to females and tank size. Hopefully Thales will chime in, he has had more experience than me.

Yes, lots of live food.

5. tylerf013

tylerf013 Pygmy Octopus Registered

Just out of curiosity, what other types of animals can live with the cuddle fish? I saw the list that DWhatley posted for octopus I'm just wondering if there is one for cuddle fish as well?

6. cuttlegirl

I would discourage fish, but I had hermit crabs with mine and some mushrooms. Any type of shrimp would probably become food.

7. tylerf013

What about a sting ray?
    Would that cause conflict?

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

@tylerf013 No, a sting ray or any ray would not be a compatible ceph tankmate (the cuttlefish would become a quick meal). Rays need a very large tank (none stay small enough for the tanks you are considering, least of all a sting ray), special considerations and are outside the topics of our forum. If they interest you (after you have serious experience), locating a dedicated forum is recommended (and for success, required).

Most interesting animals will require a species only tank (ie a tank of their own). Some animals can coexist with various corals and clean up crew inverts but the safe choices are limited (this is also true of fish only tanks but there is more variety of choices). Poor choices of combinations lead to stress (often resulting in death), predation or injury so each animal added to an environment needs to be carefully screened for compatibility. I mentioned the term MTS in your intro thread, this is why it is so common.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  9. A. Cuttlefish

A. Cuttlefish Blue Ring Registered

Probably it will cause conflict, species only tank is much better. Anyway, the stingray might eat the cuttlefish or vice versa. Steven Watson, I would say go for like, 8 dwarf cuttles!

10. tylerf013

Thanks I havnt read anything on sting rays I wasn't sure what they ate lol or how big of a tank he would need lol he's out of the picture